• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Poor x800 XTPE performance over 6800gt?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Permanoob

I have a eVGA 6800gt and just picked up an x800pro VIVO -> x800xt PE. I ran Aquamark before I pulled out the 6800gt and scored a 53,209 stock and 55,118 OC'd.

I formatted and reinstalled XP with the x800 in and got the latest Cats and ran Aquamark again. I scored a 49,156. I upgraded to the latest Omegas and scored a 51,017.

I wasn't able to run 3dmark before I formatted due to some hard drive corruption but the last time I ran 05 on my GT, I got a 5125 OC'd and 4824 stock. Just ran it here and got a 4027.

I thought the XT PE was supposed to be on par to the 6800 Ultra. So far it's crap in a basket. Can anyone give me some insight as to what I could be doing wrong, as this is the first ATI card I've had since the old Rage Pro 128.

(I posted this here because it's dealing with both cards.. sorta.. meh ok it shoulda gone in ATI)

Last edited:
Your right, that is quite low performance, tho you have to remember that nvidia cards always score better in aquamark than ati cards, its just better suited to nvidia architecture. Even so, 51,000 is lower than id expect, my x800xtpe scores 75,378, but compared to your GT scores id have said the drop is about what id expect, as I said the ati will always come out slower in this bench. I am suprised at the drop in 3dmrk05 however, your ati card should come out on top, when I upgraded from my gt to my x800xtpe my score jumped by miles from around 4500 to 6213. You sure your running the latest omegas and the latest patch of 3dmrk05? It may just be of course that your cpu is now a huge bottleneck for your gpu...

I am running the latest Omegas and such. My CPU shouldn't be so much of a bottleneck that it kills my score like that.. it should atl east be on par with the 6800gt scores.

And mind you I'm not basing my whole card decision of these benchmarks.. but they should be performing better than this.

you did move all your sliders to the left, with AA and AF to app perfered, right?

hey, I had to ask.;)

mica

Ehh, Athlon XP's, from personal experience, were never much good at video card benchmarks. My 2.5ghz barton is only a tad faster than my A64 2800+ at stock, if you look at 3dmarks scores alone. (In general, its more comparable to a 3000+ A64)

micamica1217 said:
you did move all your sliders to the left, with AA and AF to app perfered, right?

hey, I had to ask.;)

mica

hehe you say that like I should know to go in and do that. No I hadn't done that. I did that and my scores did improve (4516 / 53,714) but still below what I was expecting for this card. The 6800gt on stock was still pulling higher scores.

Yuriman said:
Ehh, Athlon XP's, from personal experience, were never much good at video card benchmarks. My 2.5ghz barton is only a tad faster than my A64 2800+ at stock, if you look at 3dmarks scores alone. (In general, its more comparable to a 3000+ A64)

Again, I don't see how it can be my CPU. If the only part I swapped out was the video card and I'm getting lower scores, the only problem can be the video card. Unless of course the x800 relies more on my CPU than the 6800gt does, which I doubt. That'd be a fairly big counterpoint to buying something this expensive.

Am I wrong in thinking this should outperform my 6800gt and even perform even or slightly higher spec than a 6800 Ultra?

yea something definately doesn't sound right, do you have any kind of temporal AA.........did you turn off fast write?

Fast write is off. It was one of the suggestions when installing the latest Omegas.

Temporal AA? bwa?

i've heard of people not being able to find the "temporal AA" checkbox with the omega drivers...that could be hurting your score...just a thought...........my x800xt gets here on monday so i'll let you know how mine benches with a fresh xp install and latest drivers as well seeing as we both have bartons

austinbmxnig said:
i've heard of people not being able to find the "temporal AA" checkbox with the omega drivers...that could be hurting your score...just a thought...........my x800xt gets here on monday so i'll let you know how mine benches with a fresh xp install and latest drivers as well seeing as we both have bartons

Cool.. I'll keep my eye out for those. I brought my computer to work today and I'll be working on it once I'm done with my morning duties. I'm going to comb over the driver settings and see what I can find.

Any other suggestions folks? I would really like to keep this x800.

ok, so you reformated your HD and you tryed moving your sliders to the left...

temporal AA should not be working since AA and AF should be on App perfered...off.

next question, did you remember to reinstall your chipset drivers from the mobo CD?

mica

theELVISCERATOR said:
Sounds like cpu bottleneck

busted a 73000 on a pro myself.

I'm willing to entertain this idea.. but how is it that I've scored higher with a different card?

And is a Barton at 2.5-2.6Ghz a bottleneck in gaming compared to your Intel at 3.8~? It should be about the same. Agreed yours would eek out a little more in the end, it shouldn't be that big of a difference.

I'm still working on a few things to get this right. Yesterday I scored a 5700~ in 05 which is better and acceptable. I reinstalled Windows again (switched to a different HDD) and I'm only scoring 4300's again. So it's something I'm doing wrong, I just need to work it out now.

Ok that's better.

The other day, I made a WinXP install that included the chipset drivers and other Nforce drivers. Apparently it's not as reliable as just installing the drivers directly. I installed the drivers from Abit's website and it's looking ok now. Pulling a 5814. That's more what I was expecting.

I'm done messing with it now. On to the playing.. and the games.. and yah.

Back