• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Hoovering out case???

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

shuRe

This might sound a bit crazy, but i was thinking would hoovering out a case with the mobo and that inside clear dust up a bit, i obviuosly mean not to touch the components, but would it be effective to suck some dust off the mobo and out of the ports?

Thanks

EDIT: I dont have access to compressed air, so this is the only other solution i can think of

I dont see why it wouldnt work as long as u dont suck any cables up, fudging something up.

What ido is just take my pc apart and clean each part, then the case.

I don't have access to compressed air either. It's kinda odd; I bought some at Best Buy a few months back no problem. When I went into Fry's a few weeks ago after running our of compressed air, they asked for an ID. I was thinking "Okay..., I should be fine, I'm 17." Well they told me sorry but a new law requires those who buy it to be at least 18. I dunno if it's just in my state (Washington) or what.

Back on topic, I suppose if you use a plastic attachment on the end of the vacuum, ya should be fine. just be really careful not to yank off anything fragile from mother/daughter boards.
Good luck. :)

Does your vac have a grounded metal nozzle? The friction of the air moving over a plastic nozzle can cause the build up of a static charge on the end.

Get someone to buy you some canned air. Cheaper and easier than getting an ESD safe vacuum.

IWasHungry said:
I don't have access to compressed air either. It's kinda odd; I bought some at Best Buy a few months back no problem. When I went into Fry's a few weeks ago after running our of compressed air, they asked for an ID. I was thinking "Okay..., I should be fine, I'm 17." Well they told me sorry but a new law requires those who buy it to be at least 18. I dunno if it's just in my state (Washington) or what.

Back on topic, I suppose if you use a plastic attachment on the end of the vacuum, ya should be fine. just be really careful not to yank off anything fragile from mother/daughter boards.
Good luck. :)

That has gotta be the dumbest thing I ever heard. Leave it to the West coast to come up with something like that.

I am 17 and have the same problem here is texas, but only on certain compressed air cans. They think everyone is a stoner or so and think we are going to sniff the stuff. Go figure? I just have to buy they CO2 canister ones.

The problem might be thar the consider them Freon based and you must be over 18 to purchase them. It all depends on the state and what calssification they label them.

I'm with SwamThing, vacuums do indeed build up very large static charges on them. It's not like you'll certainly fry it, but the odds are pretty good something might be damaged.

Personally, I just use a natural bristle paint brush to dust it out....no refill required.

too many people trying to huff the cans. all that **** does is give u a huge headache and make ya talk funny. why people do it i will never understand. but not allowing people to buy the things is even more stupid. by banning it all its doin is makin people think hey theres a reason why i cant buy it lets find out and do it anyways. grrrrr

Diggrr said:
I'm with SwamThing, vacuums do indeed build up very large static charges on them. It's not like you'll certainly fry it, but the odds are pretty good something might be damaged.

Personally, I just use a natural bristle paint brush to dust it out....no refill required.

Sounds liek ur discoverin g a mummy in the middle of egypt :D

Back