• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Memory compatibility with NF7

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Intern

Registered
Hello, I am new to these boards and I've searched for an answer to What memory module would work with my NF-7rev2. I am currently using 2x256 PC2700 corsair memory. My proccesses in windows like Internet Explorer keeps crashing with an error saying it could not "read" the memory.

Could it be that my CPU is burnt?

PC SPEC
---------
2100+xp running 2.36 1.8v
GF4ti4200
2x256 PC2700 corsair ram
80gb WD HDD
water-cooled
350watt PSU(cheap no name)

Intern said:
Hello, I am new to these boards and I've searched for an answer to What memory module would work with my NF-7rev2. I am currently using 2x256 PC2700 corsair memory.

Welcome to the forums!!!!!

If you look at my signature you'll see I'm using Samsung TCCD ram and I'm quite pleased with the fsb I've gotten with 512x2 sticks of ram.

Nice, ill test out the memtest, prime95 and 3dmark today.

Forgot to mention that my computer does a memory check at bootup, and it checks it sometimes more than once.

I had a similar problem and ended up testing my 2 sticks separatly. I found that one stick was bad and that the good stick had been "carrying" the bad one. Ended up replacing both since they were sold as a set.

Turns out it was one of my memory sticks. Guess its time to upgrade =-) thanks

Update

I'm just using 1 256 stick of RAM right now, and just shopping around for some performance RAM. But I still notice that my computer is still running very sluggishly.

I keep thinking that my CPU is damaged.

The lag problem comes up from anything I do on the computer, IM'ing or web browsing, I cant run any games at all.

CPU idle: 33C
CPU load:40C

Motherboard:ABIT NF-7rev2
Processor: AMD Athlon 2100+ running at 2.36ghz
Cooling: DangerDen TDX Waterblock
Memory: Corsair, ValueSelect, 256, 1stick in dimm3
Video Card: Gainward Geforce4 ti4200
Sound Card: nforce2
Hard drives: WD 80gb
Power Supply:powerUP 350watt
Operating System: Windows XP

Sorry for the trouble, :bang head
If I can't figure whats wrong with it, im just going to buy myself a shuttle.

Well, with 256 Mb of ram, it's very possible for Windows to be slow if you have a good amount of programs running. I seem to remember that Windows needs somewhere around 100 Mb to run, and anyother program after that is really going to drain resources. It happens on the computers I have a work. They have 128 MB of SDRAM, and they will lag in My Computer, and usually take about 20 secs to bring up a program after double clicking on it.

I'd keep the NF7 personally. It's the best socket A board out there, Shuttle doesn't have nearly enough BIOS options to let you overclock chips to their full potential. Especially if you have WC. So I'd keep looking around for some ram and see if that helps. If it doesn't, I'd try re installing Windows, because sometimes it just needs a refresher. I've had to do a rein. twice so far and it really helps.

As for memory to choose, you have several options. If you want to save a good amount of money, but have the same overclock as performance ram, go to Best Buy or Circuit City when they are having a sale on their Kingston Value Ram. Look at their 2*256 DC kits of DDR400, but you have to find a specific ram chip on them. It has to say Hynix BT D43, like this chip.
hynix-D43.jpg

That ram will overclock to around 260-270 Mhz at 3-4-4-11 timings on an NF7. So usually your boards chipset will stop going before the ram will.

If you want performance ram, the main ram that I would look at would be Low Latency models. OCZ pc3200 Platinum Rev.2's, Mushkin LVII REVII., PQI pc3200 Turbo with 2-2-2-5 timings, or Corsair XMS LL pc3200. All of them will have the timings 2-2-2-5, and they all have Samsung TCCD chips on them. The newest revisions of this chip will do 2-2-2 up to 240 Mhz with 3.1V vdimm, which is incredible. Some people have gotten this ram up to 340 Mhz at 3-4-5-9 or something like that timings on a A64 setup. Set a world record.

Personally, I'd go with the TCCD from OCZ or Corsair. I'm sure Mushkin is a good brand, but I personally don't know much about it. The OCZ has a very good chance of having the new revision of TCCD on it, but do some research to see where people are buying it from.

Here's a good review on TCCD based ram.
http://www.madshrimps.be/?action=getarticle&articID=233

Last edited:
Back