• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

CD drive freezes computer when trying to read

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Jay23

Hey everyone I am having a problem with my LG Cd-rom.
I bought it this summer (making it no more then 4 months old). I've only used it alltogether about 12 hours total, so I doubt it's dead.

The problem is whenever I put any CD into the CD-Rom the computer just freezes (If there is a CD-Rom in the drive while the computer is booting up the computer freezes just before the login screen).

And before people say its something else, I had 2 or 3 cd-roms laying around and i put one in, and right now that works, but I want the new one to be working.

try checking the CDROM in another PC.. maybe the drive is damaged and sends some weird signal down the line making the system crash?

I have a buddy (OC member , micamica1217 ) thats having the same problem with his DVD drive . Just started to do this freezing for no reason , and this is a very new drive . We are currently working on solution for this , so I'll post any results we come up with .

I would say check connections and make sure its in properly. Make sure the PSU rails are OK as perhaps if they are weak the CDROM brings them down even further and causes a system freeze.

May want to try different settings in bios as well. I have a similiar problem with one of my cd-roms. I have to change it to LBA, or CHS, or Large for it to work (not sure which one, lol....)

That same thing happened to a cd-rom drive i had, i had it about a month and they it would start freezing the computer when i put a cd in it. It turns out the manufacturer had shipped a batch of them with poorly made spindle motors, which were all burning up and lucky me i bought one.
You might want to check if the cdrom even spins up.

David the rails on the PSU are fine :)... at least I think so :p
+3.3 = 3.23
5 = 5.05........-5 = -5.28
12 = 12.67.....-12 = -12.67

Also, im pretty sure it spins but I will check again. I'll try putting a cd-lense cleaner in there, if that does nothing I'll try the different settings, and if that doesnt work lol... I'm going back to the store :)

Back