• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Machinist Block

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Actually, I think that Mark got it right...both those companies sell what you are looking for under the name of "surface block" (or stone).

Basically they are just granite blocks finished to a known level of flatness...just the ticket for lapping on.

Trust me you are paying for precision and when you are dealing with water blocks that come into contact with the most expensive pieces of kit in you're system you'll be glad of it.

Grizzly.com has them for about $20 and $6 for shipping, very good deal, I have one and its working great, tons better than a peice of glass.

Jon

I would never have thought of this. I always thought that glass was a great way to go. I'll have to look into this more. Thank you for pointing this out.

Its usually called a lapping plate, or ground granite plate. I woudl get the 9x11(12?)x2" from grizzly, it should do what you need, I have had great results from mine and don't regret buying it for a second! If you think you should have to buy a $200 one, think again because I don't think its possible for a human hand to get that precice.
The grizzly ones are ground to .0002" across it. If you dont have a very good visual, its about 1/10 the size of a human hair.

Jon

Back