• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

BFG 6800gt in a shuttle... will it work?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

kc428

Registered
I am currently building a budget lan box and was curious if a 6800 GT will work in a Shuttle box or if you are currently running one now. The BFG 6800 GT requires at least a 300w power supply but the Shuttle SB65G2 that I am considering only has a 220w. I know that Shuttle power supplies are very effiecient which is what I am hoping to bank off of... and so is my wallet. The rest of the system will consist of a 3.0c, a gig of ram, and leftover ide hd and cd rom that I have sitting around. I don't ever plan to overclock the poor machine and any heat issues I believe I can take care of. If you have any suggestions or experiences they are greatly appreciated. Thanky you in advance.
Kevin

according to most reviews that I have read, the Gt will work in a shuttle with no problems, I emailed shuttle a while ago, but never got a response on it. I'll try again today.

Well I just ordered the stuff that I specified and will let you know what the results are. Hopefull all goes well or else I'm back to lugging my desktop around.
Kevin

I've seen reviews on that Shuttle, and the 6800GT works JUST FINE in that rig. The Ultra's larger heatsink poses a problem, but the GT is good to go.

Apparently that little power supply has more juice that one would think.

Also have seen that the Shuttle can actually do a little bit of overclocking if you know what's up.

Well Guys. It has been done and its working great so far. I put together a Shuttle SB65G2 w/220w power supply, 3.0c and a BFG 6800 GT OC and a gig of corsair ram. For a little lan box its pretty awsome. On 3dmark05 it got a score of 4674 without any OS tweaking and overclocking. Just following up on the project and I recommend it for anybody considering the shuttle and a 6800 gt.
Kevin

Back