• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

s939 chipset by ATI is here!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
No onboard LAN?
SATA150 only in the SB?
500MB/s SB-NB link?

It's perfect for the cheap machine, but for the super-high-performance rig I'm supposed to be buying sometime in 2005 it seems a little thin on the ground. Excellent reference board design aside, I'd like to see a little fleshing-out of teh features.

Still, adds an alternative to nVidia.

Not a bad review at all. However, ATI faces very stiff competition from nVIDIA. It is going to take more than that to sway AMD enthusiasts from the Nforce lineup. And maybe it's just me, but I am not too fond of the AMI bios. Nonetheless, I will sit tight and see what they have to offer in the coming months.

deception``

L337 M33P said:
No onboard LAN?
SATA150 only in the SB?
500MB/s SB-NB link?

It's perfect for the cheap machine, but for the super-high-performance rig I'm supposed to be buying sometime in 2005 it seems a little thin on the ground. Excellent reference board design aside, I'd like to see a little fleshing-out of teh features.

Still, adds an alternative to nVidia.

The boards will have onboard gigabit lan. The difference here is that ATI chose not to include it into their southbridge. This is due to their claim that integrating the lan into the chipset offers no performance increases or cost advantages. With this in mind, the motherboard manufacturers will run the gigabit lan off of the PCI-x bus.

deception``

PCI-x bus.
You mean PCI-E. Anyway, the 3 display is nice. But was it me or is that fan next to the Top brown slot, probably PCI-E slot, isn't that going to come into conflict with the card in the slot?

Still bucks the major trend of every motherboard and it's auntie having at least a simple 10/100 LAN port included within the chipset. And you'd lose a PCIe 1x slot if gigabit lan was implemented.

But I don't know how much the cost of silicon is per mm² so meh.

dicecca112 said:
You mean PCI-E. Anyway, the 3 display is nice. But was it me or is that fan next to the Top brown slot, probably PCI-E slot, isn't that going to come into conflict with the card in the slot?

Reference design = usually bunged together to show that it works, so is miles from a production model in terms of layout and BIOS refinement, even though the ATI reference board is streets ahead of the others :D

dicecca112 said:
angboard.jpg

the fan is the same height as the pcie slot so there shouldn't be any problems.

Looks interesting and promising, but as with any hardware that's as-yet-uneleased, we can't really guess too accurately how it'll stand up to the test of actual use, in the machines of the average consumer.

Which is why I make a point of never buying anything brand new, untill it's been out for a while, and thoroughly been "quality checked" by other hardware users/enthusiasts.

...but for the super-high-performance rig I'm supposed to be buying sometime in 2005...

A lot of us are in this (self-built) boat. And it's still too early to be deciding what we'll be buying in ~February.

Steven4563 said:
aslong as its fast and works great with A64's im up for trying one

the only thing i dont like is that is has Onboard video :mad:

If it doesn't affect the price, there shouldn't be anything wrong with it having onboard video. You can still use a graphics card.

The fact that this does have onboard video could make it a great board for cheap folding farms when paired with a 90nm Palermo Sempron. That is, if the make the Sempron socket 939, but this still has been confusing.

i know it shouldnt make any difference but i just dont like the idea

i hope they come out with a good AGP version coz i still wanna be using my 9700Pro

onboard video also adds cost to the board for those who don't intend to use it.

they dont look 2 promising i think sumwhere in the article it said great for games or summit coz a 9100pro will keep up these days

Xplos!ve said:
they dont look 2 promising i think sumwhere in the article it said great for games or summit coz a 9100pro will keep up these days

My 9000 Pro is struggling quite hard I might add.

Looks like a perfect net-surfing computer... Onboard graphics with dvi (a first for amd boards as far as I've found)... :D

Just what I've been looking for actually, in micro-atx form.

That's neat how it has a X300 integrated right in the board! That means you don't need to buy an extra graphics card to be able to watch dvis or even play most games.

My previous 9200SE managed to play virtually every game exept for the high end suckers (Doom III, Farcry) so the X300 isn't bad for most people.

I've heard though that nVidia's 6200 can be overclocked to a 9600XT equivalent! And the card is sub $99! Now if only nVidia would come out with such an integrated chipset.

<--- nVidia fan.

whats wrong with onboard video? as long as it has 128 bit ram and at least 9600pro clocks, it should be decent for 1024x768 gaming with reasonable fps if you back it up with a nice overclocked winchester. Will any of ati's chips have agp? I might want that so I can 3dmark my ti4200 :beer:

Back