• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AMD 64 & windows install issue

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

idioteQnology

i spoke to a friend of a friend, a tech trainer at tigerdirect. as u can see in the post i theorized it was the msi mobo. he said he has encountered issues with amd64's installing windows. in fact at an amd/microsoft show they microsoft guys had to scramble for new cd roms of windows xp since the amd64 rig had problems with a few disks, OF THE SAME OS, until it worked. very strange. official brand new disks and the amd 64's have issues with disks. we dont have the money to go buy several copies of xp with, anyone else have this issue?

buildin a gamin rig for someone i know. here are the specs.

amd 64 3500+
k8n neo2 platinum
2x512mb twinmos ram
ati x800xt
2x NEW wd160gb caviar
1x used 120gb wd caviar
audigy 2zs
enermax 470 or 480w psu
lg dvd-rw

built the thing, started up no problem. went to set up windows. i set up the two new 160gb drives as master slave on ide1. then the dvdrw and the already used 120gb as master slave on ide2 respectively.

first it saw the 2 160gb drives fine, and only the dvdrw on ide2. so i figured id deal with that later and start settin up windows. it got to 90+% of formatting then came back with an error formatting windows could not continue. i thought maybe i had a bum drive. so i switched the other new 160gb to master, and on the 120gb switched from slave to cable select. this time it found the 120gb drive. so i went to format the 160gb, same **** as the first. no way we got two bum wd drives brand new. then i restart, it would hang at post after checking ram when detecting ide drives. it would only see the dvd-rw. i reseated everything, cleared the cmos, nothing. then i tried only hooking up 1 160gb drive and the optical on ide1, nothing on 2. finally recognized the hard drive but again, everytime we format using the xp setup, it gets to 100% then gives the error that this partition contains errors. both brand new drives. arghhh.

*** is going on.

some chipset's IDE has problems with HD over 137GB,
so use the 120GB HD to install windoze ;)

as for the 160GB HD,use an ATA/SATA pci cards :)

For the HD drive issue just slipstream sp1a into windows xp and windows on boot from cd will read the correct sizes of the bat.

how do u slipstream sp1 into ure windows install when all ig ot are regular xp install disks.

idioteQnology said:
i spoke to a friend of a friend, a tech trainer at tigerdirect. as u can see in the post i theorized it was the msi mobo. he said he has encountered issues with amd64's installing windows. in fact at an amd/microsoft show they microsoft guys had to scramble for new cd roms of windows xp since the amd64 rig had problems with a few disks, OF THE SAME OS, until it worked. very strange. official brand new disks and the amd 64's have issues with disks. we dont have the money to go buy several copies of xp with, anyone else have this issue?

buildin a gamin rig for someone i know. here are the specs.

amd 64 3500+
k8n neo2 platinum
2x512mb twinmos ram
ati x800xt
2x NEW wd160gb caviar
1x used 120gb wd caviar
audigy 2zs
enermax 470 or 480w psu
lg dvd-rw

built the thing, started up no problem. went to set up windows. i set up the two new 160gb drives as master slave on ide1. then the dvdrw and the already used 120gb as master slave on ide2 respectively.

first it saw the 2 160gb drives fine, and only the dvdrw on ide2. so i figured id deal with that later and start settin up windows. it got to 90+% of formatting then came back with an error formatting windows could not continue. i thought maybe i had a bum drive. so i switched the other new 160gb to master, and on the 120gb switched from slave to cable select. this time it found the 120gb drive. so i went to format the 160gb, same **** as the first. no way we got two bum wd drives brand new. then i restart, it would hang at post after checking ram when detecting ide drives. it would only see the dvd-rw. i reseated everything, cleared the cmos, nothing. then i tried only hooking up 1 160gb drive and the optical on ide1, nothing on 2. finally recognized the hard drive but again, everytime we format using the xp setup, it gets to 100% then gives the error that this partition contains errors. both brand new drives. arghhh.

*** is going on.

I seriously doubt the A64 chip has anything to do with your issue. My experience has been anytime there are issues with an install it's motherboard, IDE cables or bad drives causing the problem. Most likely you have a BIOS unable to handle the drive size or you have a bad piece of hardware. Nothing you said would lead me to believe the CPU is causing your issue. I'd bet money your problem would go away with a new board.

The tech/trainer should have replaced the CD/DVD drive cable before getting different disks. I would even change the CD/DVD drive itself since bad CD's are rare. Again, his issues have zero to do with the CPU, since CPU issues would'nt suddenly clear up from changing CD's. More likely a faulty drive started working again and will soon die for good....

Back