• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Why does 3dmark lock but games run fine?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

WA2

Why can I run all of my games (Doom3, FarCry, Thief Deadly Shadows, etc) at maxed out details, but I try and run 3DMark03 at the same clock speeds and lock. THere is not a big diff in speeds, but there is a diff. Games run fine at 678/630, but 3DMark03 only runs at 675/615. I know 3DMakr03 means about jack...it is just kinda buggy.

Here is 3DMark03 if you are curious. It is not at 2.86, as my Mach II is still down.

http://service.futuremark.com/compare?2k3=3332677

Last edited:
Nice run. Finally we see one! Let me guess you either lock up on the first test or Nature? And you start tearing in Trolls Lair?

3DMark is typically a little more stressful, heat-load-wise anyways, on your hardware than computer games are - particularly on your video card. But you don't see any artifacting in 3DMark, you just get a random freeze or a crash? Does this happen in 3DMark01SE, and 3DMark05 as well, or just in 3DMark03?

It might be worth your time to check out the thread linked up in my signature in blue text, "The Definitive Guide to Stability Testing" :)

felinusz said:
3DMark is typically a little more stressful, heat-load-wise anyways, on your hardware than computer games are - particularly on your video card. But you don't see any artifacting in 3DMark, you just get a random freeze or a crash? Does this happen in 3DMark01SE, and 3DMark05 as well, or just in 3DMark03?

It might be worth your time to check out the thread linked up in my signature in blue text, "The Definitive Guide to Stability Testing" :)

Or raise your core voltage. You have reached the ceiling. Give it a little bump. :bday:

It actually was locking at the very end test, planes fighting and you hear sound..

Hey, that's the same place I was locking up at.

I ended up rationalizing that it must be the sound card drivers. So I removed the old ones and did a fresh install of the sound card driver and voila, never locked up there ever again.

Maybe try that...?

Edit: Hmm....come to think of it, maybe not... Sorry, I'm not sure whether it's locked up again at that spot.

Back