• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

PSU doesnt start after i change drives

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

MadSkillzMan

ok guys, i know some PSUs get clogged up or somehting, and simply switching them off, then back on does the trick...well, after my 15gig WD died (strange death really) if i open up my case and remove...well ANYTHING..the psu WILL NOT BOOT...i know the psu is ok...itll have the LAN lites on on my mobo...but i could wail on that power switch all day and it will not boot....but, if i hook it up to a switch and short the green witha ground, it boots...then if i hook it back up to my mobo it boots up in the next 2 tries. I swapped it in on a diff mobo and i get the same problem....but ocne it comes out of it, all is well.

Usually a lONG combination of unplugging it, switching it off or the power pad, and swapping cords...and removing the mobo connector will just randomly get it booted...then it runs fine...

Any ideas on what the hell is wrong? Thanks in advance.

Sounds like the power switch on the case is working intermittently. I bought a set with power switch, reset switch, both leds and a speaker the other day off of ebay for like 3 bucks. You can also check directron, I think they stock replacement power switches. I had one die before and had to replace it.

This is easy to test if your case has a RESET switch. Just hook up the RESET switch to the power switch jumper. The RESET switch should then behave like the power switch. If this fixes the problem, then it's a bad power switch.

welll thats good to hear...rather pay for a part i can get at rad shack for a few bucks than a new PSU all together

But with past cases, mobos and PSUs it would happen and ud hafta tod the main power switch dealy....which did it every time..whats up w. that? some safety feature?

Back