• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Nocona users, What HSF to use?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

EZ-Spidey

What are the quiet HSF combos for 2.8 Noconas?

Are the 2u coolers any good (stock with the chips) and do they
fit on the NCCH-DL?

http://ecd.coolermaster.com/product/index.php?page=2&cat_id=3

Im using the E3W-NPTXS-04 to cool my 2.8 xeon noconas, and they seem to do a fine job compared to my p4 prescott with a zalman cooler.

The coolermaster does get real hot so they are doing its job well, If you do buy a set of these, you should mount some fans to cool the fins a bit.I only noticed a few degrees drop but its better than nothing.

Thanks for the link hkfeet.

I'm probably going to pick up a pair that come with stock 2u coolers.

I have no idea how they look, perform, how much noise they make and it they'll fit on an NCCH-DL.

Are the Wind Tunnels + adapters + 80mm Panaflo fans a good cooling option for the Noconas?

he's most likely using prestonia's which generate much less heat... I use a similar cooling setup as him, wind tunnel - adapter - fans - vent to outside.

and unless i'm wrong, aren't 1U and 2U heatsinks designed for low profile cases? (rackmount?) if so, then i believe the stock cooler would be better...

The CoolerMaster E3W-NPTXS-04 is for 3U and up. The pair I have are huge and about as wide and deep as an 80mm fan and 1.25 times taller. A pair will fit unmodded on an Iwill DH800 or Asus NCCH-DL but with very little space between them. They can be used for either Prestonia or Nocona. I'm fitting them with Nexus 80mm silent case fans and side cowling to get a silent windtunnel effect. A 120mm Nexus fan will be the main exhuast fan in addition to the 92mm power supply fan directly over the CPUs. I'll add a 120mm Nexus blowhole if necessary. However the less fans I use, the quieter the end result. My present Intel Windtunnels are great high-end air coolers but they have a bagpipe/shopvac drone to them that I'm tiring of.

For non Nocona boards such as the Asus PC-DL, you'll need to use the E3W-NPTXC-01. For other Xeon duallies you'd better check that the coolers will fit and clear components near the sockets before buying.

Nocona's can't be cooled with HSFs. You're screwed. :p

Actually, The swiftechs are about the best out there.

Nocona's can't be cooled with HSFs. You're screwed.

Tell me about it. I was hoping to run them at 250 FSB at 3.5. I was so wrong. All I can get is 3.2 something. I even tried tornado fans, still no go.

They can be cooled by good heatsinks. The coolermasters are some of the best as are the 3Ghz Intel Windtunnels. Some guys over at 2CPU are getting good results but only one or two have ever gotten up to 250fsb even with Prestonia duallies. More of a chipset limitation or Intel sabatoging our OC fun. Wait until some people have tried out the new E0 stepping and we'll see what if any improvement is gained.

Is it possible to actually mount (or 'force' mount) some fans
on these CoolerMasters?

I can't tell from the pics but speaking purely theoreticaly, how
would the cooling be affected if an 80mm was fixed on both
sides of the heatsink:

- The fan on the right side is blowing into the heatsink
- The other on the left side is pulling air away

If somehow this sounds super dumb, hehehe, well remember
I know next to nothing about effective cooling/airflow! ;)

Im using the E3W-NPTXS-04 and they seem to work very well as I can feel the heat distributed throughout the entire heatsink/fins. They can get very warm or hot, so you might want to rig a fan to blow out through the fins and out the rear of the case.

I had fans mounted on mine but recently took them off because I got too much clutter in my case and it looks so ugly. I just used wire ties and wrapped the fans around the heatsink. 1 wire tie around the fan, and then another wire tie through the tie in the fan around the heatsink. Works well, but temps only dropped a few C's, but better than nothing with these hot noconas.

with my prestonias i bought a pair of swiftech mcx603-v's and they do great. they are actually touching each other on my iwill dpi533 and the fans were practically next to impossible to get on there (especially if you have fat fingers :D) but they are fantastic coolers...

Back