• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

XP-64 beta and AMD64

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Frost Byte

i just downloaded XP-64beta, and was just curious if any of you guys had used it/are using it. What was it pretty buggy?

I thought all 64 bit cpu owned had to use it :dunno: never seem/know anybody with an a64 yet

just installed it.

haven't had the time to really test it yet. Seems pretty stable so far though.

you need 64bit drivers for the chipset/video/sound though. Can be a bit hard to find.

Both ATI and nVidia have video drivers. nVidia has chipset drivers, Via probably does too.

I had used it a little bit. I never kept it though because it doesn't have drivers that work with my tv tuner. I did score a few hundred more points in 3dmark01 though.

"Using an emulation layer, you can run 32-bit applications on Windows XP 64-Bit Edition. However, such applications run significantly slower on the 64-bit system than on the 32-bit system, because emulation requires additional resources."

http://www.microsoft.com/resources/...Windows/XP/all/reskit/en-us/prka_fea_ayuw.asp

this basically says that things will run slower...for now, anyway. the benchmarks on pcstats all have been optimized to run on both 32 and 64 bit os's, and don't show what you might expect running your normal programs. i tried to find current benchmarks, but everything i found is about 9-12 months old, so won't be too relevent with whatever the current build is. what all of them did show was that everything did run slower except for one game which had graphical errors during the benchmark.

I find it runs quite a bit faster on my AMD64 3000+. I'm running both versions (XP Pro and XP Pro x64) on my computer right now (two boot partitions). I also find that the CPU produces less heat (and I mean alot less) when in the x64 version (as does my power supply since there is less power drain on it). However, 16bit software and some DOS apps do not work. It's a pain to get 64bit drivers if you can't get your hardware to work, so make sure you have them all handy before installing. So far, everything seems to work pretty well.

Turd Furguson said:
NIC drivers are a pain to find.
thats why you have to use a well supported nic no matter what OS. Ive always used 3com cards because 3com is supported in almost every os ever created.

I'm using it right now on my K8N-E and I've already installed the beta ATI drivers as well as the nForce drivers for it. I can definitly notice a speed boost compared to regular XP Pro. As for 32-bit programs, I can notice a slowdown compared to a true 32-bit OS. I played HL2 on x64 and it wasn't too bad, though it keep skipping a bit.

I have it installed as a Dual boot, using XP pro as my main os and using XP 64 just to test it out. XP 64 seems a little faster than XP and seems stable so far. I haven't been able to test it very much because there isn't much software that supports it.

NIC drivers for the onboard NIC on my K8V SE Deluxe were a biznitch to find. I would up using a driver from an Iwill board that had the same Marvell Yukon NIC implementation.

I gave up on it after about 3 weeks just because of driver issues. Gentoo hums on it quite nicely and 32 bit XP Pro is all I will run until 64 bit XP is available.

If you read the article fully through, you will see that there is an EXTREME performance jump when running the 64 bit os with 64 bit APPS. It also shows a slight performance hit when running 32 bit applications in a 64 bit environment due to windows 64 having to translate the 32 bit to 64 bit code.
As a result, the 32 bit apps. will perform slightly better in their native 32 bit environment. The bench's show such a negligable difference that it is almost worth it to run the 64 bit OS. Almost, but not quite.

Back