• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

round 2 for pelt setup

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

supergt99

i tried a pelt setup but had other problems with my computer. so i am ready to give it another try. i have a 226w 50mm pelt that i bought off ebay. i know some about insulating, but you could refresh my memory on it. im unclear on the PSU that i need. does someone make an external PSU that i use? any tips to help me make this work this time would be great.

my case is packed so the PSU would have to be external. also would a 50mm pelt be too big for a 9800pro?

Yes they do make an external psu for the pelt and it's sold here. What waterblock are you gonna use to cool the tec?

i think im just gonna buy Swiftech MCW5002-PT

unless someone has a better way to mount a 50mm tec with the swiftech water block?

Another option for powering that pelt is to use a good ATX supply that is rated for at least 25 amps on the 12V rail. You just rig up that supply to turn on with your computer, put a little load on it's 5V line so it starts up properly, and your done! This can be done for a lot less $$ than buying that meanwell PSU.

Another option is to just build your own psu using a tranformer, rectifier, and some capacitors to smooth things out. This requires a little more work and knowledge, but you can build a bulletproof PSU for dirt cheap.

Yeah For my next system i am going to be running 2 X700XT's in SLI (if the ATI chipset supports it wich i think or pretty much know that they will 2 keep competitive) So i am going to be running dual 226watt pelts water cold with custom blocks. So i am going to make an internal psu to power them. (at least those are my plans...
)

power_switch1.jpg

powerswitch2.jpg

That is what I made to turn on a second power supply. I am getting ready to patent the design and sell them. It will turn on your second power supply when the first is started, has an LED letting you know that the second PS is working and I am going to mod the design and make it so you can see that the first PS is working too.

Surreal said:
the 226 is overpowerd for any vidcard. Enless you run the tec at around 8v.

I agree 100% with Surreal ... I was running a 72W 30mm x 30mm at 12V and it created condensation on the back of the card.... ruined my card in less than 36 hrs. I had just finished a crude temperature controller and was about to test it when the screen went blank permanently.

I think 40 mm is too big for me as well. Too much overhang and therefor the risk of condensation is alot higher.

Use lots of Dielectric grease ... something like this maybe

Attachments

• Picture (Small).jpg
    Picture (Small).jpg
    35.2 KB · Views: 111
Here's a look at that relay you need. http://www.ocforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=33424&stc=1

It is all you need to turn on a second PSU. The voltage from the first PSU will trip the relay and allow the green wire to close a circuit to ground. The green wire is only millivolts, so that is why you need the relay. Otherwise you'd be putting 5V or 12V to something that needs less than a volt.

Check the link in my sig for my full project.

my atx tower is packed. i may be able to squeeze the meanwell psu in there, cause thats what i was thinking. but if i have too, ill get a another PSU and mount it external on top of the case. does anyone make a nice decent looking PSU that i can mount on top?

Goto your local electronics component wholesaler. You should be able to find a 12V regulated power supply for cheap. You don't need the 3V or 5V rails so the unit will be alot smaller and could possibly be fanless. You need a minimum of 10Amps.

If you have any old Dells (Duds) or Compaqs (Crapacks) you might try using a PSU from one of those .... they are anywhere from 10-15Amps normally. Perfect for what you need. That same electronics store/radio shack will have a relay for you as well. Play with the relay using a voltmeter/continuity checker and a 9V battery if it isn't labelled. You won't hurt the relay with DC.

PM me if you need more info on the relay or PSU.

Back