• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

50 dollar budget for a socket A motherboard

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Sliver

Right now I have a very spiffy 420 watt power supply. a 9800pro, one stick of 256 megs of dirt cheap RAM that seems to have been touched by the hand of God (In a good way.) and an XP 2200+ ITCHING to be overclocked. But there is one problem.

I need a new socket A motherboard for my Athlon XP 2200+. I'm not looking for anything spectacular, just the essentials. (NForce 2, voltage control.) And a 50-60 dollar budget.

Any suggestions?

sorry. spiff out the extra 5 bucks and get
Abit NF7-S

its everything u will want and more.
and will last
rock solid board

exactly how does the nForce2 SPP chipset stack up agains the nForce2 400 and nForce2 Ultra 400?

Thats not the NS7-S Version 2 that most Abit users use. The original NForce2 SPP can be coaxed to 200MHz operation (FSB) but not always. I would say that you should get the NForce2 400 equipped AN7 instead but if there are people more familiar with the 1.x versions of the NF7-S that can vouch for it being able to hit the 200MHz+ FSB I would consider that.

i would go with above for board selection.. for the small amount more

you said you wanted to spend 60 max ..

well for 19 dollars more you can get a kick @SS board

nf7-s v2.0

you will in no way be sorry ..

But the NF7 does the same things the NF7-s does when it come to oc, it just doesn't have sata or soundstorm. And look I have both boards. :D

For new $50 budget...Get a shuttle AN35N-Ultra. Its only real drawbacks are weak vdimm (2.7v) and a pretty scant extra feature set (understandable given its price). I picked this board because it did away with all the extras and offered a tough nforce2 ultra platform with good overclocking options at an outstanding price.

Your other option is probably the biostar, which I from what I've heard is pretty nice. The drawback on those is that they lack the 4 mounting holes around the socket leaving you with a somewhat limited choice regarding HSFs. Some people hate biostar, but most reviews I've read said there boards were rock solid and newegg reviews have a lot of people who expected little being surprised with what they got.

After that, I think you're going to have to dig through refurbs or break your budget by a pretty solid amount. Those boards are probably the best feature set you can get for the money.

Somewhat related:
After some research, its MHO that biostar offers the best IGP nforce2 board. It seems to be the only IGP still available with lots of overclocking options and support for 400fsb/400memory. Again, its only real drawback being the lack of mounting holes. Its just that other manufactors have largely ignored the IGP setup and have offered low feature versions.

Back