• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

GEIL Ultra X?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Streifenkarl

The AnandTech Review its among the best of the new 2-2-2-5 generation. Does anyone here have it (with a P4 maybe) and if yes, how did it perform?

Currently im trying to sell my Corsair PC3200LL memory to get that new stuff. But i dont know yet, which to buy. Kingston, GEIL, Corsair and OCZ are the brands i concider buying.

That Geil did really well in that review and also did pretty good in this one at PCStats, hitting 240 and 257 at 2-2-2-5, with 2.8v and 3.4v, respectively (clearly these were some of the "voltage loving" variety).

http://www.pcstats.com/articleview.cfm?articleid=1653&page=1

I sure wish we could get to the bottom of that voltage question. If you have the means to provide the additional voltage then there is a big difference between 240 and 257 at 2-2-2-5 and its not just in benchies.

I dont think i have the guts to give it more than 2.8v because i tried that once, and "killed" my Corsair RAM that way.

But the cool guys from Corsair just replaced them without asking any questions! I wonder if the peeps over at GEIL would have done the same...

But its all relative you know... with my 3.2c, which does only 235MHz stable i wont need those high FSB speeds anyway. All i want is 232MHz @ 1:1 and timings of 2-2-2-5! :cool:

Oh, and of course i want 21k @ stock speeds too! Almost there... :attn:

Edit: How is "GEIL" pronounced in English? In German we pronounce it like G as in gear, EIL as in while. How do you say it in English?

Last edited:
Streifenkarl said:
I dont think i have the guts to give it more than 2.8v because i tried that once, and "killed" my Corsair RAM that way.

But the cool guys from Corsair just replaced them without asking any questions! I wonder if the peeps over at GEIL would have done the same...

But its all relative you know... with my 3.2c, which does only 235MHz stable i wont need those high FSB speeds anyway. All i want is 232MHz @ 1:1 and timings of 2-2-2-5! :cool:

Oh, and of course i want 21k @ stock speeds too! Almost there... :attn:

Edit: How is "GEIL" pronounced in English? In German we pronounce it like G as in gear, EIL as in while. How do you say it in English?

I saw in some review where the reviewer said it was pronounced like the word for strong winds "gale" force winds so that would be something like "Gail".

Does that make sense or confuse?

Hmm, how do you pronounce it? I mean when you talk to your local dealer or discussing hardware with a friend?

Honestly, the only time that ram comes up in forum discussions. It is not common to where I live and no one carries it in the local stores. In the review that I read the reviewer made a point of describing how it should be pronounced but I don't have a basis for saying whether or not he is correct.

There is humor here that I must point out.

A Cuban trying to tell a German how to pronounce in English the name of an Asian product. Do you find that as humorous as I do?

Hehe, yeah... thats hilarius! Hehe, and its even better when you know that the word "GEIL" means "horny" in german. 1:1, im not kidding!

Back