• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

X800 picked as the HL2 card to own!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Cheator

I just bought this month's PC Gamer. IT had an interview with this guy that was answering hardware questions about Half-Life 2 (IE what kind of system to I need). When the question was asked what Video card to use for half-life 2, he said the X800. I can't remember exactly what was said (My mag is at home) but it was nice :)

but isnt that the answer to expect?
hl2 is ati
doom2 3 is nvidia... or thats how the story goes anyway

Well...I will surely be ready when HL2 comes out. I wish they would hurry up already. Everyone keeps telling me about how great this game will be, but I want it now.

Anyway, has anyone seen any benchmarks for the game on ATI and nVidia cards?

Cheator said:
I just bought this month's PC Gamer. IT had an interview with this guy that was answering hardware questions about Half-Life 2 (IE what kind of system to I need). When the question was asked what Video card to use for half-life 2, he said the X800. I can't remember exactly what was said (My mag is at home) but it was nice :)
<not suprising>

But lets be honest guys. If I really trusted what the idiots said in magazines Id be the proud owner of my $3500 Ailenware POS, or a Dell.

In summary: they dont know jack ****, all their information pertaining to hardware is always suspect.

The Ultra is still in the 100's at 1600x1400 with everything on where as in Doom3 the Xt-Pe is not hitting 60fps at the same res and Ultra Grafic settings. The Ultra does best all around for FPS however there are alot of problems with the Nvidia lineup (driver issue mainly) which is why I went with the Xt-Pe.

Sentential

In summary: they dont know jack ****, all their information pertaining to hardware is always suspect.

Now, now, just because they aren't promoting your video card ;) :p (j/k)

Sentential

But lets be honest guys. If I really trusted what the idiots said in magazines Id be the proud owner of my $3500 Ailenware POS, or a Dell.

It's entirely true, in today's world, everything is cross-sponsored or cross-promoted in some manner - everything is money; and to get money you need to market (or just pimp, with no shame or modesty whatsoever) your product.

How many people will read that article, and buy an ATi card instead of a nVidia card? If even one person's decision is influenced by that article, then the article has been successful. Because that one person will talk to their friends once they have their card, about how great it is, and how nice HL2 looks with it. And their friends will listen, not knowing that all the next-generation video cards are of roughly the same absolutely incredible, and extremely fast caliber.

A friend of mine is building a fairly high end system pretty soon, and he wanted advice on which video card to get. After some talk about his budget, and expectations, I told him to get a 6800 GT. The point of this particular example being that you need to try and look past the brand name (which is basically just fluff!), and be as objective as possible (I've used ATi for the longest time).

Back