• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

only using MAC filtering, bad idea?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

BrandonV

My wireless is driving me nuts, always dropping on me. I've tried WEP, WPA, not broadcasting SSID and it still does it. If use only MAC filtering only will I be much more susceptible to gettimg my **** leached than WEP?

I have a Belkin 802.11G 54G router and Broadcom 802.11G built into my lappy. I currently use WPA w/ PSK key and broadcasting in 802.11G only (cut out 802.11B traffic) and only get one other network occasionly showing up, but whenever it does show up I get dropped and have to choose a ntwk. I use the Broadcom wireless config and have XP's zero config disabled. Will MAC only prevent drops and be safe?

Thanks.

MAC filtering alone is not a good way to protect your wireless network.

Its not a hard job for a potential intruder to Sniff a few packets from your network, find the MAC of a connected Client and Spoof their MAC to match.

mac filtering isn't going to help you in 'dropping' your connection, it's another measure to secure your wireless. I occasionally drop my wireless connection, and I am 5ft from my wap, thru a wall. I have ssid broadcast disabled, wep enabled.

i c.....
so there's not much I can do about getting dropped then, huh?
Its so frustrating as some nights are good where I have full signal and no drops and some nights I'll get dropped 4-5 times.

Thanks for the input!

Try taking a look at Netstumbler, it's Wireless Signal strength graph is very detailed and useful, I mean you drops a problerbly to do with signal. But you said in your first post that you drop went someone else's network comes on? Are you both on the same channel? Try changing it

Back