• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Power requirement general question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Mikes95XLT

Hey guys

I'm shopping around for some new equipment for our lab here at school, and I'm a little stuck...

How do I know what the power requirements would be for a motherboard that I buy? Right now we're looking at this board and we want to get power supplies that will be enough for this, but not much past. These will be just for basic systems used for HyperTerminal sessions to routers, and that's about it besides some basic networking/ghosting needs.

How can I tell what my power requirements would be?

Thanks!

its more along the lines of what components will be in the system and not the exact motherboard. i would think a nice 300/350watt should be enough for a system with AXP etc.

Takaman has a power estimator that will give not only the total watts but also the amps for each voltage rail, although the amps estimate for the +3.3V always seems to too low, so triple it.

This mobo uses +5V to run the CPU power, so the +12V amp capacity doesn't have to be that high unless you run tons of 10,000 RPM HDs or similar power-hungry drives.

If the CPU isn't faster than about XP2700+ or 2.4 GHz and the graphics card isn't super fast, then a good 300W PSU, like a Fortron-Source from Newegg.com, should be fine. The actual power consumption will likely be 200W or less.

Back