• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

need a good $1800 laptop

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I just got my dad a inspiron 8600 for about $254 more...and it works pretty well....

alienware is way overpriced imo. sonys and acers are pretty nice, but it would help alot of we knew what exactly you want it to be "good" for.

I just bought a new DTR from www.pctorque.com.
They are a sager reseller.

Clevo makes laptops as an ODM
Sager and Alienware resell them with slight design changes.

The new top of the line sager DTR the 9860 Is the same as alienwares new laptop except for the AW price increase.

4750-C
17" WSXGA+ Active Matrix LCD
AMD Athlon 64 3000 (3200 option)
512 MB DDR 400
40.0 GB HD
Integrated CMOS Video Camera/4-in-1 Card Reader
8x DVD / 24x10x24 CD-RW Combo Drive & Softwares
10/100/1000 Mbps Ethernet
Internal V.90 Fax/Modem
Integrated Wireless 802.11G Turbo and Bluetooth Optional
Smart Li-ION Battery
$1909.00
Cash Discount
$1865.09

This is the best default laptop setup at pctorque for the price range

costco,
has the p25 satellite toshiba
3.0C p4
17" bright widescreen (best screen i have seen on a laptop)
80gb hd
dvdrw
www.costco.com or check ur local store
was 1600 last time i saw them.
i get 2hrs battery life gaming w/ ultra bright screen
2.5hrs reg gaming.

all around, very nice laptop.
built in 54g too :)

i would either get a Sager 3790 from www.discountlaptops.com or a Dell, every now and then Dell has KILLER coupons that really drop the price on the laptops.
you can customize these both for your specific needs. i have been shoppingfor a laptop for nearly 6 months but havent brought myself to make a purchase yet.

pctorque is good but they own notebookforums.com and in my opinion that place is like a cult, they moderate like nazis. if you mention any other seller other than pctorque everyone gets crazy. ~.~

I'll recomend sager laptops also. Great deals I got mine form sagernotebooks.com, talked to the sales people on the phone a couple times. There was a problem with my cc and they were able to get it all sorted out for me. Defiantly recomend them.

First of all, centrino is not a processor; it is a Pentium m processor combined with an Intel wireless chipset. Centrino itself doesn't provide superior battery life, the processor does. So I would suggest anything with a Pentium m in it as the Intel wireless chipset has not been shown to outperform any others. That said, I have a centrino laptop, the Vaio VGN S150. I really like it, it has great speed and best of all it weight 4 pounds. The real decision that has to be made is whether you want a desktop replacement or a thin and light or something in between if you don't specify there are way too many choices for anyone to suggest to you.

realtadiquantu said:
centrino turns off the cache of the cpu that isnt being used, hence saves battery power.

uh, you couldn't be more wrong

it throttles the cpu down, and only increases speed if the load is 100%, which conserves battery power better than powernow and older stuff.

turning the cache off :eh?:

its not centrino that does any of those things... its the pentium m processor. Centrino is the wireless technology.

I got an Acer Travelmate 270 series:

Pentinum M Centrino 1.5ghz..
512 of ram..pc2700
40 gb HD
radeon mobility 9700 64MB
intergrated wiress b/g
cd-rw/dvd combo drive...

I love this laptop, it is pretty fast and it works flawlessly, I get 10k in 3dmark01

Back