• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

raptor with 16mb cache.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

nickmckay

Disabled
is it possible to make a raptor with 16mb of cache? If so, why hasnt it been done?

I head people tryin to compare 16meg cache drives to raptors.. but a raptor with 16mb of cache would rule, would it not?

It would help performance, but like all things there is a point of diminishing returns. The drive already has 8MB on it, so 16MB wouldn't help a whole lot I'd think. Probably only measurable on benchmarks. I think the best way to improve performance for that drive would be to increase the rpms further, such as 15K.

15k drives must be rather loud, but surely they could take advantage of 16 meg cache.

Then again, with the right cache controller a drive could make use of much more, such as 32 megs.especially with bloated operaqting systems that dont have enough ram, tehy constantly acess the same 10 meg chunk on the hard drive, over...and over...

why dont they make cdrw drives with 64 meg buffers? that would be sweet.

secretweapon said:
A gig of cache :eek: That would cost an arm and a leg, possibly your firstborn as well :p

That's the nice thing about children, you can trade them for cool stuff, and you can always have more of them.

maybe not WD, but someone will. And why not make hard drives accept pc 133 as cache? weve all got at least 64 megs lying around. i think cd/dvd burners and hard drives should accept those dimms!

I imagine that the read-ahead logic would have to be improved to really make use of the additional cache. As for using is as a replacement for systems that are short on RAM, I don't really see that as a viable option. I would think a 16meg cache hdd would cost a fair amount, where a gig of ram can be had for a farily reasonable price these days.

Is cache expensive for the hard drive. Then its funny how no company went crazy and put 128meg or 64meg.
Thanks

Heh, cetoole, I posted that in the memory section about finding bh-6 on my hdd. Is it expensive? Not really, but it's probably about a dollar or 2 per chip, and you have to worry about redesigning a pcb to fit it.

However, I honestly don't know why they are so cheap on it. Performance/cost ratio is great.

Como said:
maybe not WD, but someone will. And why not make hard drives accept pc 133 as cache? weve all got at least 64 megs lying around. i think cd/dvd burners and hard drives should accept those dimms!
You sir may have just had the idea of the century.

Why would they not do that? Why give up the gimmic, and it becomes too difficult to keep up with. Same reason why video card manufacturers don't anymore. They want the gimmic, and the ram is hard to upgrade sooner or later.

I would love to have some dimms on my hdds, I have a gig of ddr laying around, 2x256 KHX3200 BH-5 and 2x256 Kingmax PC3500 with red PCBs. The chips are cheap, I am with man_utd.

Last edited:
Back