• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

The absolute BEST hs/hsf for P4 3.2E

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

MonroeM

I'm looking to replace my CM Jet4. I hear good things about the XP90/120 (I'd go w/ the 120 personally) but I'm undecided and I plan on shopping around a bit before I settle on a new one.

I'm looking for some good cooling. At the moment, the best I can seem to get w/ my Jet4 is 46c idle (2500rpm fan speed) and ~56c load (3500rpm fan speed). That load speed is pretty bad IMO w/ 3500rpm fan speed that sounds like a jet taking off.

Also, anyone have any opinions of the CM Hyper 6 or the TT "Tower" series... or any other heatpipe coolers of the like?

Any help will me much appreciated.

Cheers.

Last edited:
Been asked a million times over....
Do a search of the Cooling section and you'll be amazed at what you'll find.

Or you just wait for a couple of answers here: I think the best P4 heatsinks come from Thermalright and have names like XP-120 (doesnt always fit), XP-90 and SP-94. Have a closer look at these if you like.

If your too lazy to search, check out the ones Streifenkarl suggested, and also the new Zalman 7700 (uses a 120mm fan), which is competition for the xp120 and is virtually silent (according to Zalman)

Very cool guys, thanks for the info. I'll check out those fans and then search on here for some results and reviews from O/CForums members.

ciku said:
temps idle 29/21 case/cpu... thats all i can say, check sig :)

Did you lap the hsf or the CPU?

EDIT: and wouldn't the SP-94 be a bit better due to the all-copper design?

Last edited:
I didnt lap my XP-90 before installing it. And according to Speedfan my idle temps are 29°C for the CPU. And thats with 32°C in the system! Full load temps settle between 44°C and 47°C... after hours of gaming.

Hmm... well I hear good things about the 90... and it'd work better than the 120 due to the door on my case (specifically the door latch getting in the way).

Thanks for all the info guys.

Btw, the SP-94 is a great heatsink too! But according to Systemcooling.com and others its not better than the XP series. I wanted to buy it first, but then i chose the XP because i could use the stock Intel retention module and therefore didnt have to take the mobo out of the case.

Actually thats the biggest advantage over the SP-94... this and the weight.

Hmm... does anyone know of a site where I could get the SP-94? I don't plan on buying for another week or so, I think I'm going to do a little more research before I buy.

Thanks for all the help though, Streifenkarl.

MonroeM said:
Hmm... does anyone know of a site where I could get the SP-94? I don't plan on buying for another week or so, I think I'm going to do a little more research before I buy.

Thanks for all the help though, Streifenkarl.
The SP series was discontinued several months ago. The only 2 that are in circulation that you should be lookign at are either the XP120 or the XP90. If your mobo fits the 120 get that.

You can still get the Sp-94. Here in Germany online store offer them for 45€. So i guess its not "too late" - at least in Europe.

Hmm... I s'pose I'll be looking into the XP90 then. The XP120 is out of the question. I'll need to create a blow-hole in the side of my case and my panel latch would be in the way. (Electron Chaser has the same case as I do and he bought the 120 and had the same problem).

Thanks again for all your help fellas.

MonroeM said:
Did you lap the hsf or the CPU?

EDIT: and wouldn't the SP-94 be a bit better due to the all-copper design?

nope... dont know how to lap! lol... also, air is sucking out of my hs :)

Back