• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

4 pin 12v ABSOLUTELY necessary?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

nickmckay

Disabled
i just gotta nf7 and an athlon 1400, and some bh-5. Problem is, i dont have another 'p4' power supply with the 4 pin connector.. I thought i read somewhere that it is not required...........is that true? :eek:

Well the NF7 will run without that 4pin 12v line, but you won't get a stable high oc if you're planning on ocing. The 4pin 12v plug on the mobo is designed to run more stable with it, providing of course your psu has it.

There are adapters you can buy that will allow you to change the 4 pin molex connecters into that 4 slot.

theres a 20 pin and 4 pin connetor on my nf7, the only extra PSU i have does not have a 4 pin connector..

nickmckay said:
theres a 20 pin and 4 pin connetor on my nf7, the only extra PSU i have does not have a 4 pin connector..

Yeah..my question was if it can be one or the other.. or if both is preferable. I have been using only the 20 pin for months now just fine.

20 pin IS required at all times for the system to run...

:eek: you live in winnipeg *lives sorta close*

nickmckay said:
20 pin IS required at all times for the system to run...

:eek: you live in winnipeg *lives sorta close*

I realize that.. but what I'm asking is if the 4 pin should be plugged in at the same time or if it doesn't matter.

How close is sorta close? Same province? :)

lol, i live in northern MN, right on the canadian, ontario/manitoba border...

The 4 pin hsould be plugged in at the same time, it is not required though,,

i remember in 4th grade i went to that science museum in winnipeg, there was some dude with a large dress coat, big glasses, and a fricken HUGE bowtie..he was using a computer, i went up behind him and started to read, it was a bunch of s&m ****, and had this pics of chics in leather and stuff. *was frightened*

How much power does an Athlon 1400 use compared to an XP2400+? Because C'T magazine measured an XP2400+ system as drawing about 9A @ +12V, and because the 20-pin connector has only one +12V wire, I worry if that its Molex connector could overload and overheat, especially if it's not tight and clean. IOW I'd definitely want the square 4-pin connector to be plugged in.

mr_spooky said:
I realize that.. but what I'm asking is if the 4 pin should be plugged in at the same time or if it doesn't matter.

I would definitely plug it in... without it, there's only a single wire to power the CPU and I have seen cases where the 12v connector was unplugged and the ATX connector was damaged by too much current draw.

Oklahoma Wolf said:
I would definitely plug it in... without it, there's only a single wire to power the CPU and I have seen cases where the 12v connector was unplugged and the ATX connector was damaged by too much current draw.

Ok great thanks. I plugged it in. I was asking because my PSU had blown up earlier and I was putting a different one in and since I was in there anyway I might as well ask.

I've seen motherboards not post without that 4pin 12v line attached to it so in that case, yes it's very necessary :)

Back