• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

R9800 Thermal Throttling?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

aNTiChRisT

Hey everyone. I had some wierd problems with my new 9800pro recently.

When i first got it, i installed an Arctic Silencer on it (one of the new flashy ones) and started up my games... wow they look nice with AA and AF with constant FPS! I was dissapointed with the OC though; 378core to 400? The memory was good though -- 320 to 385.

I ran 3DMark 03 and got 4000 points... this is when i knew something was off. Before with my friends 9800NP i nearly scraped 7000marks! I thought, must be a virus, or because of my NVidia drivers previously on here. Over the next few days, my framerates lowered and i couldnt understand why!

A few more days later, well you can see the attached image of americas army...

After reinstalling DX and Cats i put it down to hardware. I was really pissed off that i had destroyed my new card... i couldnt afford a new one!

So i check it out... couldnt see anything wrong. In one last ditch attempt, i put the stock heatsink back on. It booted, and my games worked again! I overclocked to 405 core now! I have yet to run 03 but i got a lot better frames.

Today, i reinstalled my silencer... turns out the plastic "funnel" was resting on a component; looks as though the core wasnt in full contact. I'll get some photos on tomorrow. Core is up to 415 -- still pretty pathetic but nothing a voltmod cant heal :)

So yea, i put it down to thermal throttling. Im just glad it weren't destroyed. Anyone else had something similar happen? Im suprised it had thermal throttling.

~t0m

Attachments

• Shot00000.JPG
    Shot00000.JPG
    17.4 KB · Views: 89
I'm certain that these cards do not underclock, or compensate in any way for high temperatures - although your speed drop with the poor heatsink mount *would* seem to indicate that they do.

It's strange that this occured, although the speed drop you experienced could be due to simple overheating, I suppose.

I'm glad that your card is alright, it's an awful feeling when something's going wrong with your machine, and you can't figure out what's causing it....

I installed a stick of RAM upside down yesterday ( :santa: ), and it took me practically half an hour to figure out what was causing my computer to blare a very annoying symphony of several differently toned alarm beeps :D.

Try re-mounting that hsf. With my stock cooler on my 9800p i can pull about 420 core, if not higher, i havent tryed though

Whoops, forgot about this thread :p

Felinusz, i too make the mistake -- nearly everytime :) now i know when a ram stick isnt fitting, i just stop, turn it round, and in it goes. lol.

I've tried re-mounting. I'm pretty sure its the ATi Silencer that isnt working, because i have had the stock cooler on for several days now and no funny bugs. Shame really, cause i spent £25 on it -- about $45 :(

Oh well, i think im going to splash out on a new watercooling system...

Thanks for the replies -- and making me laugh felinusz :)

~t0m

Read the first post mate, DX and Cats are reinstalled :(

I've had Omegas on for a few days, so far no problems. Maybe it was a driver issue, hell knows.

~t0m

Back