• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

92mm Tornado peformance....

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

JasonDTM

Right now I have a Thermalright SLK-947U w/ an 80mm tornado + fanspacer, Right now my temps are pretty decent for my overclock ,I just ordered a 92mm Tornado, and I dont have any other fans that will be suffient to make a spacer for, Would a 92mm Tornado and the 947U + as5 produce some lower temps that the 80mm tornado, or should I look for a dead 92mm fan and gut it for better performance

Not sure what you are saying about fan spacer....

Are you asking, if a 80mm tornado produces same temps as a 92mm tornado?

I believe they produce the same temps; the 80mm has faster RPM, and is smaller, therefore it is a bit louder; the 92mm is bigger and has slightly slower RPM so it will be alittle quieter. (even if the RPM's were the same, a bigger fan with a certain RPM should be quieter than a smaller fan with same RPM--maybe I'm wrong, and it's "Same CFM= quieter").

What difference do you see in performance when using a spacer to when not?
Do you get atleast a 2C drop in temps?

Sorry if I jacked your thread.

The 92mm tornado puts out a lot more cfm, and theyre at about the same noise level. For an SP-94, theres no reason not to get the 92mm tornado over the 80mm one. You could use a fan spacer, this would drop temps and cut down on noise. You would have to hollow out a 92mm fan, and just use the outside to mount the tornado onto the HS.

if your concerned about noise, you should have gotten the 92mm panaflos... silent and powerful :)

Noise isnt an concern, I'm going to go through a box of junk or old Powersupplies, and find a 92mm Spacer, but my next dilema is, how do I mount it to the heatsink, cause my 80mm spacer is big enough to seat itself without the brackets, and I'm sure the 92mm will just fall off.

I've seen people use the standard mounts to hold the 92mm tornado on, albiet barely. Clip the deadfan-spacer on there, and screw together the spacer to the fan if you'd like.

Try it, it'll prolly be difficult bending and stretching the clips, but it should hold it.

-Frank

i just screw the fan to the spacer at only two corners, then mount the whole shabang with the clips. this works ok for a 80 mmb, but i wouldnt put the extra height and weight of the 92 mm on there... I would buy a zalman fanbracket for like $9 and mount it that way.
92 mm tornado isnt worth it really. its a fair bit louder than my smart fan 2 and doesnt generate much better temps. my cpu loads out at 38º. as if 2º is worth almost double the noise level. I do agree on 92 mm panaflos though. they would probably put out abut the same cfm as my SF2. at a reduced nois level.
Tornado is fun to play with though. to show off and poke fun at. but its a very impractical, expensive fan.. and if you ever get your fingers near that thing.. i hope you have a good hmo.

To answer the question of performance of a 92mm vs. an 80mm on a heatsink, there can be MANY factors saying what will perform better than the other.

A larger fan tends to move more air for its RPM and noise. A smaller fan tends to spin faster and move less air for its RPM and noise, however, since it spins faster it has a higher static pressure. Static pressure is very useful in terms of lowering temperatures when ramming air through something or making it go some place it does not want to go very easily, like through a heatsink.

True, the 92mm Tornado moves more air, but in a case like this, it could be an issue of static pressure more than total airflow.

Also, what size the heatsink is designed for. A 92mm might have a larger deadspot, worsening cooling performance with most heatsinks excluding something like the SI-97 that relies only on heatpipes and its fins are not attached to the base, where a deadspot does not matter.

So, the best thing is trial and error. :)

In general, sometimes the advantages of a larger fan outweigh the disadvantages and you can get better performance with less noise by using a larger fan. Sometimes it could be the opposite as well.

I'm still confused on how I can do this sandwich so I can use the brackets I got my fan in the other day, and I want to know exactly what I have to do w/ picture description if possible

*edit. image included for reference*

ammmm what brackets? there is no perfect way to do it but if you are refering to the zalman fan bracket i mentioned, you can put the screw up through the bottom of the tornado and mount with the nut that way. what i did *no pics, sorry, your on your own to use your own creative devices* was to snap an entire side of the spacer fans frame off. the frame with the mounting holes. You can do this with a pair of pliers, or your bare hands if nessiary. Polycarbonate breaks very easily under pressure.
this allows you to use a screwdriver on the other sides mounting holes. i also snapped on corner off the other side to make room for the long mounting screw.
fed it up through the bottom, secured it temp to the bracket. took the side of the fan spacer with the one broken corner and placed that over the screw *broken corner is so it sits flush with the tornado* then, the two other oposing corners *the corners directly adjacent to the mounting screw, i used case fan screws to secure to the tornado.
when you go to mount in the case, you will have to turn the tornado on an angle. somthing between 30-45º. whatever it takes to make it fit over your heatsink uniformly. it doesnt really have to be 100% uniform. i highly doubt mine was. now, the tornado 92 mm is a little on th eheavy side. especially now that you have added a spacer. so this works well because it pushes against the heatsink very slightly. which puts some pressure on the zalman bracket mounted to your pci slots. it wont move this way. and will cool pretty darned good.

this is a good mod.. it increases cooling power, is inexpensive, looks clean and will help to muzzle that damn thing. Make sure also there is no grill on the tornado to enhance this <_<.

Attachments

• Untitled-1 copy.gif
    Untitled-1 copy.gif
    6.1 KB · Views: 98
Last edited:
I'll just leave it off for right now, @ 2.4ghz its loading around 38*C which isnt that bad, even tho I do try to rid my system of every degree possible.

38 c is awsome. mine runs that at 2.3 with my smart fan 2 around 3600 rpm. the extra performence is nice. the extra leetness of the 92 mm tornado is nice, but its retardedly loud... so not worth it.

Back