• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SCSI Adapter (80-pin SCA to 68-pin) Problems

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

fletch

I've got a strange problem with using the type of SCSI adapter listed in the title. I am using an adapter to use a 10k rpm SCA SCSI drive on a 68-pin cable/controller. When I power my machine up, the LED on the drive comes on and the drive makes a small click like it's trying to spin up.

I have tried 3 other SCA drives I have lying around with the adapter, each with the same result. So I am fairly certain it is not the drive(s).

I have tried using two regular 68-pin SCSI drive on the controller, both with success. I'm fairly certain the controller is not at fault.

I have two adapters, and have tried both on the drives with no success. Have tried setting the adapter IDs to 0, 1, 4, and 6 with no success. So I figure I'm either not configuring something properly, or both adapters happen to be gimp.

Does anyone know what I might be able to do to fix this? All other necessary info should be provided below.

The hardware being used:

Compaq SCSI Drive:
Appears to be a rebadged Seagate, can't find info the model number, BD00911934). Labeled "WIDE ULTRA2 SCSI", "9.1GB - 10K RPM". Has SCA 80-pin connector.

PCI SCSI Controller:
LSI Logic LSU160. Has been updated to most recent (4.19) firmware. Default host ID is 7.

80-pin SCA to 68-pin SCSI Adapter:
Generic brand, don't know too much about it. Pictures below:
50_1_b.JPG
scsi50_68-2.jpg

scsi50_68-3.jpg

ok, mine did this a few times, it kinda sounds like the same problem, keeps clicking, but mine did it after it boot. I think the problem was that the cable is a little loose, mine was also a seagate, it doesnt fit in there snug. try disconnecting it, and then boot it w/o the drive. then shut down and reconnect it, it seemed to work for me. good luck

Thanks, I'll give that a try here in a couple minutes. Hopefully that will fix it.

UPDATE: Well, unfortunately that didn't work. :(

Last edited:
If the adapters are both the same type, they're older LVD/SE adapters and I had bad luck with several of those. I'd suggest getting some SCA adapters which are U320 rated. These will still be limited to 2-3 adapters per channel, but have better build quality. They will also not have the 50 pin connector.

Back