• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

If I move from the US to overseas....

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Gongo56

and i want to bring my comp, will I have to buy a new PSU for the 220 volt outlets over there? or is there some sort of different power cable that I can buy for my PSU?

usually on the back of your psu, there is a little switch to switch between 115 V and 220 V. you will probably also need a new cable, but i would imagine you could get one super cheap

If your PSU has a voltage selector switch on back to choose between 115V and 230V or it has active PFC, then you can use your PSU in Australia. BTW I read that it's a good idea to set that switch to 230V and cover it with tape so it won't accidentally be flipped to 115V and cause the PSU to burn up.

I saw only one PSU that had to be used at 100-125V AC, but it was a Lite-On OEM model. Watch out for this if you have an OEM model, that is a PSU that was included with a major brand computer or bought on the surplus market.

Many modern PSU's are autoselecting. So they work with anything over 80V and under 250V.. Just a matter of getting the right power cable for it!

Take a look at your PSU for what the sticker says..

And remeber that you monitor is often not that friendly when it comes to voltages..

yeah i plan on just buying a monitor over there.. anyone know where I can get a cable to fit the plugs for my antec neo power 480? I tried emailing antec but you never know when you'll get a response

you could buy it when you arrive there, on local pc/electronick shop.. it's just about 1-2 dollar, and it's not a rare thing..

Gongo56 said:
bump anyone knkow where i can buy, in the US, a new PSU cable?

If you post in the wanted section, Im sure someone would give you one. If you are close to Boston, you can have one of mine. Let me know.

Back