• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Notebook processors

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Quint

Registered
What is the advantage of a Pentium M processor over a P4 with HT in a notebook? Most P4's I see have a higher speed than the M's. Do the M's run cooler on less juice? Thanks

From what I've seen s pentuim M will give you greatly improved battery life. They preform very well despite the lower clock speed.

They run cooler and are very good for thier clock freq...2ghz vs 2ghz the PM would destroy a p4..a rough guess would be a 1.7ghz PM is on par with a 2.4ghz P4...not bad considering how much better life you get

Thanks, I thought there must be a performance difference for the posted speeds.

go with a laptop with longer life, if not it's almost not worth it being a laptop, when you're chained to the wall every 2 hours..i know that's a little off topic, put pentium m all the way

if you multiply a pentium m's clock speed by 1.8, that would give you the rough equivolent in terms of a p4. pentium m's also make better gamers than p4's because of the bigger cache. if you look at bechmarks, pentium m's are barely behind the p4 in most tasks, and ahead of the p4 in many as well. very good cpu.

Back