AMD Motherboards
Forum Jump

What's the difference?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe Search this Thread

Old 11-15-04, 09:40 PM Thread Starter   #1
Funaro
Registered

What's the difference?

I want a socket 939 nForce 3 Ultra motherboard. I've basically come to terms with the saddening fact that neither DFI or Abit will be making nForce 3 Ultra boards. Therefore, I've decided it's time to put the crying towel down, and maybe consider what's currently on the market from the "other" guys. Gigabyte especially caught my eye with their offering.

The 2 options:

Model: GA-K8NS Ultra-939 / nVidia nForce 3 Ultra - Price $116.99

Model: GA-K8NSNXP Ultra-939 / nVidia nForce 3 Ultra - Price: $189.99

Now, both boards are for Socket 939 AMD 64 CPU's, and they both have seemingly identical structures (number of USB ports, PCI slots, etc...), but, there seems to be a large gap in the price between these two boards for some reason.

I've gone to Gigabyte's web site to compare features, and for the life of me, with the exception of AMD's "Cool & Quiet" feature, I can NOT figure out what the K8NSNXP offers over the K8NS. Why is one board almost a hundred dollars more than the other board?

Please, If you have any answers, could you please point out what I'm overlooking...

Thanks.
Funaro is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Overclockers Approved
Which motherboard should you buy? Get the final word here. Check out the latest Overclockers reviews:
ASRock Z77 OC Formula Motherboard Review

ASRock teamed up with overclocker Nick Shih to make a high-end overclocking-based, yet functional for all users, motherboard named the Z77 OC Formula. It appears they have achieved it. Read More.

Get it at NewEgg for $239.99
ASUS Maximus V Formula Motherboard

The Maximus V Formula is part of the ROG (Republic of Gamers) series of motherboards, which in itself brings a high level of expectation. It's a no brainer, Overclockers Approved! Read more.

Get it at NewEgg for $279.99
Old 11-18-04, 07:07 PM   #2
DaMobster

My tip is not to buy either of those boards. Just wait a month until the nforce 4 boards come out, and you will be a lot happier that you did.

32 Gig Mushkin 1866 9-9-9
2xAsus GTX680 4gb
Asus Zonar Essence STX
XPSC RX360 Custom watercooling loop
Corsair 900D
Boot: OCZ Agility 4 512gb
Storage: 3x2tb WD Black in RAID 5
DaMobster is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 11-19-04, 03:55 PM Thread Starter   #3
Funaro
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaMobster
My tip is not to buy either of those boards. Just wait a month until the nforce 4 boards come out, and you will be a lot happier that you did.
I've been fighting with the idea of AGP vs. PCI-e. I figured I would just skip nForce 4 altogether until the format (PCI-e) matured a little more, but who knows.

Regardless of whether or not I decide on going nForce 4, I'd still love to know what the difference is between these two boards....
Old 11-22-04, 11:34 AM   #4
TombKeeper

Difference is is that the expensive version has Dual Bios....if something happens to your bios (virus or o/c'ing), it's ok because you have a second bios....

Not really worth it for me though....maybe for you...?

RAM:.........2x2Gb Mushkin 1066s
VIDEO:......MSI 275 GTX
SOUND:.....X-Fi Prelude + Logitech Z-5500s
HD:............2 x 640Gb WDs
PS:............Corsair 750TX
CASE:.......Coolermaster Stacker 832 (painted Black in/out)
DISPLAY:..Dell 30" 3007
Other:........Logitech G15 kb, Logitech MX Rev mouse, APC BX1300LCD ups
TombKeeper is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 11-22-04, 08:23 PM Thread Starter   #5
Funaro
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by TombKeeper
Difference is is that the expensive version has Dual Bios....if something happens to your bios (virus or o/c'ing), it's ok because you have a second bios....

Not really worth it for me though....maybe for you...?
Hmmm.... would DualBios really warrant a difference of price nearing almost $100.00?? Are you sure you're not leaving any other features out?

To answer your question, though, I could personally live with a single BIOS set-up. I almost always run at stock speeds, anyway. I "slightly" overclock. Besides, I've never had any trouble with Gigabyte boards in the past (I've purchased 2 thus far). Solid as a rock.

I think if you're going to sit out the nForce 4/initial AMD-PCI-e offering and you're still in the market for an alternative upgrade, for the offered features and asking price, the GA-K8NS Ultra doesn't really seem like such a bad idea, all things considered, of course.
Old 11-24-04, 02:40 PM   #6
Joeteck
Retired

The DPS has alot to do with it. On board voltage regulator thingy....
Joeteck is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 02-03-05, 12:20 AM   #7
KKAT

interesting though that the NSNXP version only goes up to 1600mhz on the chipset, while the NS goes to 2000mhz
weird.
I think i'll get a K8NS ultra or a Neo2 plat.
can't afford to move to pcie yet

6800GT 400core/1150mem
1gb dual channel PC3700 Samsung TCCD(Gigaram wk519) 10-3-3-2.5@ DDR500
2x80gb WD SE
1x120gb Samsung Spinponit
1x250gb Seagate NCQ SATA 7200.8
OCZ Powerstream 520
KKAT is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 03-06-05, 03:30 PM   #8
recover
Registered

according to this article..
link.

"the only difference between the K8NSNXP-939 and K8NS Ultra-939 is the missing dps heatsink on the latter.
both boards are identical and bios compatible and will thus be treated as the same board in this guide"

that's a great guide by the way.
it says the bios is compatible to each board..has anyone flashed the k8ns ultra with a bios from the gigabyte site listed for the k8nsnxp??

-recover-
recover is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 03-08-05, 04:39 PM   #9
Baddox
Registered

Get the single bios (cheaper) one. That's what I've got, it's fine, and like someone mentioned if you somehow managed to screw up a bios you could almost buy another identical board for the same price as the price increase. I wouldn't be too tempted by nforce 4 and pcie. Think about it--why in the world do consumers needs pci express? Industry is just pushing it onto the market and trying to force it on consumers who think it's the next big thing. With the exception of SLI graphics (twice the money for a maximum 30% video performance increase that isn't even supported on some games), there is nothing that pci express offers that is remotely necessary. GPU's don't perform any better than their agp counterparts, and agp still has plenty of bandwidth not being used. No other cards need an upgrade from normal pci--the only possibly thing I can think of is maybe nics will need more bandwidth soon--but that's a stretch and a gracious dose of devil's advocate.
Baddox is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 03-14-05, 12:52 AM   #10
slagburn
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by recover
according to this article..
link.

"the only difference between the K8NSNXP-939 and K8NS Ultra-939 is the missing dps heatsink on the latter.
both boards are identical and bios compatible and will thus be treated as the same board in this guide"

that's a great guide by the way.
it says the bios is compatible to each board..has anyone flashed the k8ns ultra with a bios from the gigabyte site listed for the k8nsnxp??

-recover-

I have, worked fine, and it put DPS Gold in the POST screen along with Dual Bios.
Mine's the cheaper version, which by the way has dual bios, just like the K8NSNXP. So the ONLY difference is the DPS stuff, look at the pics of both and there's a heatsink on one and not the other.
slagburn is offline   QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Overclockers Forums > Hardware > Motherboards > AMD Motherboards
AMD Motherboards