• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What DDR PC3200 hits 250FSB 1:1?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

SybrCLocK

ok i off to buy some 1GB dual DDR sticks...
so far i think 250FSB would do the following brands:

PQI TURBO series
Corsair XMS

i`m in Germany so its a little hard to get all theese brands...:
so i`m searching for alternatives:

maybe GEIL's, OCZ's, Mushkin's? (if any of those you know usually hit 250 please specify the model too)

Thanks alot

Well, OCZ's pc3200 Platinum Rev.2's have the same chips as the PQI and Corsair LL models. The Samsung TCCD chip, which is rated at DDR500 stock, so you're guanteed to max out your ram at above 250. Now there are other things such as your motherboard that might keep your ram from running 250 1:1, but if your board can handle it. Your cpu I guess is running at 3 Ghz right now, is that it's max? I thought 2.4C's maxed out at 3.4 Ghz usually.

Another alternative would be Mushkins pc3200 Level II rev. 2 sticks that have the TCCD chip as well. The best way to tell if a ram stick has TCCD is by it's timings. TCCD almost always in DDR400 ram runs 2-2-2-5. On every pc3200 stick with TCCD that I've seen, the timings are 2-2-2-5. The newer revisions coming from OCZ have been found to be able to hit 2-2-2 at 3.1V all the way up to 240 Mhz 1:1, so you could have some awesome timings with a little more vdimm. Anyway, that's what I would go for.

now i have some normal PQI that run at 5:4 cuz my CPU is running at 3.00
it freezes in windows at 3.2 with this ram but i`m confident it can be stabilized at 3.2 with some TCCD...

the problem now is... the XMS corsair costs 305$, the XL corsair is 387.. and no one heread of PQI turbo...

OCZ o didnt ask...
is there another way to tell if the memories have TCCD chips or not? (other than the 2.2.2.5 timing)

If all you need is 250FSB then I would go for Crucial ballistix Pc3200. They will ran 2.5-2-2-5 at 250FSB with 2.8volts or so. Tccd is more flexible though so if you think you might need something like 270FSB, go for those.

enduro thats a reseller.. so only companys cand buy from there as i see...

has anyone tested TwinMOS TwiSTER Pro? they say they come with TCCD samsung chips..
its the only one that actually costs 250$ and not 350

secretweapon said:
If all you need is 250FSB then I would go for Crucial ballistix Pc3200. They will ran 2.5-2-2-5 at 250FSB with 2.8volts or so. Tccd is more flexible though so if you think you might need something like 270FSB, go for those.

Unfortunately the later Ballistix PC3200 rated 2-3-2-5 won't do this. There's that Sweden guy who posted similar results here recently but that's old news based on sticks no longer available in the U.S. He probably got one of the first batch of sticks in Europe due to slower moving stock.

Any of the new ram out can do 250, 1:1, but what's important is the timings. The Ballistix is still your best bet for anything close to -2-2- timings.

People don't realize how slow 2.5-3-3-6 is. I recently did a 3DMark2001 comparison bench on my NF7-S. Listen up, as this is rare since all you see is guys proclaiming high fsb >230 on NF2 boards. Apparently this is based on Memtest, a Sandra Mem screenie, or Prime. But where's the proof of the pudding: 3DMark scores? I find the boards are 2D stable but won't pass all four 3DMarks there, particularly 3DMark2000 and 3DMark2005, not with 2x512 and CPC Enabled anyway.

3DMark2001 scores:

221, 2-2-2-11 (XMS3500)=19191
235, 2.5-3-3-6 (TCCD)=18781

This is 2x512, and with CPC ENABLED. The scores speak for themselves :). Everybody speculates about the damaging effect of CPC Disabled (hmmm, any 3DMark scores to back that up?), but here you can see the damaging effect of slow CAS settings, CPC being equal.

Since you have a P4, timings are not too important, and while they are nice, you could probably save a bit of money by buying something that can do 250mhz with looser timings. The NF2 boards have a need for tight timings, but P4 doesn't. If you can find BH-5, that can do 250+ 2-2-2-5 with enough volts.

ok ... so timings are not so relevant with p4 (a little why pops up in my mind)

since prices are hitting the roof when DDR is shiped to Europe...i thought of buying the TwinMOS TwiSTER Pro.. I did google on it and some say its TCCD some say its some other WLCSP-Chips

has anyone ever tryed out theese DDR types?

Sentential said:
512MB PC3200 DDR400 TwinMOS Twister CL2 (2x256)
^^ Thats a no no. Your mobo has the innate ability to clock EXTREMELY high on the FSB... take advantage of that. Go buy some good PC4000 and get that into the 260-270mhz range

OCz, Mushkin, Adata, Kingston, Corsair are all reputible brands that will not let you down

this is taken out from another thread where they talked about a AMD board

Last edited:
SybrCLocK said:
ok ... so timings are not so relevant with p4 (a little why pops up in my mind)

CAS timings are important no matter whether AMD or Intel. Faster CAS settings on P4s boost unbuffered bandwidth and 3DMark scores, and lowers SuperPI times.

With AMDs, I do not see much buffered bandwidth difference between 2-3-3-6 and 2-2-2-5, nor between 223 fsb versus 233 at same CAS settings (maybe 100-200 points). However as you can see by the comparison of 3DMark scores, faster CAS settings make a BIG difference in your final score, negating a higher fsb.

With P4s, I can get a faster SuperPI 1M time with a 3.95 gig CPU versus a 4.0 gig CPU with ram that will give me faster CAS timings (and higher unbuffered bandwidth).

Back