• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What is a good high-quality PC tool-kit?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

xrdanielalan

Registered
Something that contains demagnetized bits, wristband, ect. Basically the essentials for a reasonable price. I would be up for something that may cost a bit of money as long as it had excellent longevity.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Basically, I can do nearly everything with a multi-bit screwdriver and a pair of needle-nosed pliers. If you don't have eagle eyes (or are over 40 like me), a small magnifying glass sometimes comes in handle for reading tiny jumper numbers. I also like to include a small flashlight (sometimes I have to work on a friend's computer under the desk in poor lighting). A static wristband is nice, but if you are careful about always touching the case or something metal to discharge static before handling components, you really don't need one.

Paperclips, Precision Screwdrivers, and a pair of Needlenose Pliers with plastic sheilds are are the most versatile computer tools. ive done BIOS chip switches with a bent paperclip, and used the same clip to remove molex pins. as far as anti-static devices, just wear light clothes, and touch something metal before you work at most.

I also like to have a nut driver around. Always helpful for a stripped screw.

Antistatic, keep a big metal object around, and touch it every once in a while. If you want something more serious, antistatic bands can be found for less than 50 dollars.

man_utd said:
Antistatic, keep a big metal object around, and touch it every once in a while. If you want something more serious, antistatic bands can be found for less than 50 dollars.

Or you could just (more logically) touch the case or power supply....

My "kit" consists of a long cross-head screwdriver with a nice grip, a small, thin, and long pair of needle nose pliers, a larger pair of pliers with a slightly rounded grasp, a bag of screws, a soldering iron, and a little flathead jewellers screwdriver.

Basically everything you need to put a computer together, and take it apart again :)

18" needle nose,reg needle nose help also...i keep tools in my room so my mom cant get to them and has most elecitriction/handyman type tools (multimeter hammer hacksaw drills saws....screwdrivers.....+more random cool stuff) ide just get a small tool pouch and write "computer" on it,or have the ms sew something on it :D ,and include all your fav goods

I bought an older version of this several years ago and love it. It's cheap but the tools aren't all that bad. Has everything you'd just about ever need...you'll just need to get a wrist strap separately.

CompGeeks is a top-notch place to get alot of other things too.

Back