• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Watercooling a Prometeia??

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Aphex_Tom_9

i thought of something-
does anyone know if enclosing the condenser of a prometeia in a box and running water through it to cool the system would work?
i have a Black Ice Pro II (dual 120 rad) in the top of my case, only cooling my vid card atm, which is being underused, i wonder if it could handle the heat of a condenser, and would it yeild better temps?
Has anyone done/heard of this being done?

sounds like a good idea to try. maybe wrapping some copper pipe around it and running water through that would be easyer to do?

MODdaBOX said:
sounds like a good idea to try. maybe wrapping some copper pipe around it and running water through that would be easyer to do?
yes, but would that cool well?

Ok listen to this, to cool the condensor it would bring little advantages. 1. You are turning the heat from the cpu into a liquid form of heat. Its taking the heat from the refridgerant and cooling that. Best way would be to chill the condensor, but remember you need to be able to chill it good or else there isnt any gain.

SK8 said:
Ok listen to this, to cool the condensor it would bring little advantages. 1. You are turning the heat from the cpu into a liquid form of heat. Its taking the heat from the refridgerant and cooling that. Best way would be to chill the condensor, but remember you need to be able to chill it good or else there isnt any gain.
heh, you sound a bit confused, but i know what you're saying. i was just thinking because 1. i have an underused radiator 2. i want to cool my condenser better because i know better cooling helps temps (when i turn up the rpm's on the fan on the condenser it gets cooler) 3. it would probably be quieter
It's probably too much of a hassle tho, i think ill just keep looking for a better fan for the condenser.

Lowering the condensor temperature will lower the temperature of the entire phase change loop, but doing it this way would be hard. The condensor is already a pretty decent sized radiator, and submersing it in water which is cooled by another radiator will probably ultimatly result in higher temps. This is because you will be introducing more thermal barriers into the system. I'd say get better airflow, or if ya wana go nuts submerge the condensor in water chilled by another larger phase change system (low budget cascade). If you chill it too much you would need to change the refrigerent though, so you can't do to much with this.

matttheniceguy said:
submerge the condensor in water chilled by another larger phase change system (low budget cascade).
that's all i heard....now you got me thinking....buy a really cheap AC unit, make a small chiller, cool the condenser with that...wow...
i may just do that someday...probably not soon tho, but you've planted the seed

that's what cascades are. one phase change system cools the other, and different refrigerants are picked based on how cold they have to be to perform. for example you can have a prommie chilling the condensor from a home built charged with some crazy gas that likes being cold and will get super cold.

watercooling it is pointless though, try increasing the airflow through it. shouldn't make much of a difference.

crimedog said:
that's what cascades are. one phase change system cools the other, and different refrigerants are picked based on how cold they have to be to perform. for example you can have a prommie chilling the condensor from a home built charged with some crazy gas that likes being cold and will get super cold.

watercooling it is pointless though, try increasing the airflow through it. shouldn't make much of a difference.
oh i know what cascades are, ive seen the three-stage on XS, im there too sometimes. it's just the idea of using water as a heat exchange between 2 phase systems hadnt occured to me. i know a typical full cascade is quite costly, but for the price of an AC unit and some time i can try to make a semi-cascade...
for now ill work on the airflow though.

i would say try it man. completely submerse the condensor in water and have a pump pushing water thru it. then have another unit cooling that water.
i dont think air cooling the water will give that much of a gain. if you wonder how much heat that thing puts out take an ice cube and press it on one of the copper ends. you'll be suprised how it eats it up.

i got 5C better temps on the cpu with ys tech 130 cfm fans.

i have ran cold ac unit air thru the condensor and have sent the mach 1 into alarm mode.
better cooling will give much better temps up to a certain point. then you need a different gas.

Wouldn't really work, because in the end your still only dissipating as much heat as your black ice can handle. You could have a watercooled condenser but they are extremely wasteful. Basically putting it in water and having another radiator expunge the thermal load would be Null.

Tom, you would have to buy a whole different compressor/assembly to do what you want to do. Your current compressor isn't designed for the gasses that you would be looking for, ande besides that, doing this without an hvac license/significant experience is both very difficult and dangerous if done incorrectly.

However, if you do plan to continue, you should look into cascade designs. A good starting point is at a college libarry.

man_utd said:
Tom, you would have to buy a whole different compressor/assembly to do what you want to do. Your current compressor isn't designed for the gasses that you would be looking for, ande besides that, doing this without an hvac license/significant experience is both very difficult and dangerous if done incorrectly.

However, if you do plan to continue, you should look into cascade designs. A good starting point is at a college libarry.

i may end up building a full mulit-phase system one day, but i dont have the money/time/expeience to get into full system building/engineering at the moment, that's why i was so intrigued by the idea of chilling the condenser with an AC unit and using water as the heat transfer. i dont want to have to do any heavy modification to the existing system, just cool it beter, and this may be a simple answer. i know i cant get below the limits of R134a's temps, but i can get my load temps lower i figure.

And yes, i know about the 'turbo' setting in the prometia control program 9mm, i was using my experience with that as grounds for proposing the idea of cooling the condenser better.

i think ill get one of those for now and experiment with chilling later.
how much louder are those fans rhino?

Aphex_Tom_9 said:
i think ill get one of those for now and experiment with chilling later.
how much louder are those fans rhino?
i have them on a fan controller so they arent that much louder at all when on low. but on high you can hear them

Back