• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

2500+ OC'd to 3200+ and stable?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

skinnyd

Anyone done this yet? I just can't seem to get it to run stable. What were your settings?

For us to help you better tell us what you have for hard ware .
What do you have
PSU
Motherboard
Ram
HSF
Cpu steppings if you have it .

You need a lot more than default voltage for that. More voltage = more heat so watch your temperatures to make sure your heatsink can take care of the heat increase.

Can't do this with some cheapo power supply brands either or if you have poor case air circulation and temperature...

i have:

msi k7n2g-L mobo
512mb pc2700 (soon to be a gig)
my settings right now are only 185x12 1.65 vcore
heatsink is good. OCZ Gladiator. works nice.

i tried 200x11 with 1.65 all the way to 1.75, and it wasn't stable.

i think both your ram and motherboard are only able to support FSB of up to 166. so running your comp 185x12 is already overclocking your mobo and ram.
expecting your pc2700 to run pc3200 speeds may be a problem. also what FSB:Ram ratio are your running and what kind of ram is it? what are the cas timings on the ram set to? what voltages are you running on the ram?
I dont know too much about that mobo you are running but you might want to go look it up in the AMD MSI motherboard section forums to see what kind of results other ppl are getting with that mobo.. I'd say you've gotten a pretty good start for a newbie at overclocking. keep it up.
Anyways depending on the mobo issues,if it doesn't have a problem running higher cpu multipliers then maybe you could try using a higher one such as 12.5 or 13. then you wouldn't be stressing you ram as much. or run a 5:4 or 3:2 FSB:ram ratio... or bump ram voltage. or loosen the cas timings on the ram.
oh yeh what kind of temps r u getting at load?
and what kind of cpu is it? stepping?

^ sorry about that. lots of questions and lots of comments but the more you tell us about your setup the better chance u will have at getting some good informative feedback that will help u clock higher.

k i did a little digging around. i didn't read about anyone able to overclock that mobo up to 200 FSB. highest i saw while i was down in the msi mobo section wuz someone running 170 FSB. so that makes your setup pretty good as far as i know. anyways try updating your bios if you're up the task. if not doing a little reading b4 u attempt to do this. the last thing you'd want to do right now is corrupt your bios. trust me,i've done it and it sucks.
you could also try running 200x10 at 1.65v to see if that works. if it does then atleast u know ur mobo and ram can handle 200FSB. i'm guessing it won't work tho.

1. You often need more than 1.75 volts.

2. PC2700 average generic sticks overclock from 166 FSB to high 180s, maybe low 190s FSB.

Hmm ok so the RAM is very important. I don't know much about how it works, so I might just keep it at 185fsb. I get about 50C under full load right now and it's registering my CPU as a 2700+ @ 2.21ghz. I actually tried to set it at 200fsb, and it worked... saying my CPU was a 3200+, but whenever I would try to run a benchmark test, it would crash right away. Guess maybe I could trade in my pc2700 RAM for 3200, but I don't really have the money for that yet. Thanks for the help guys :)

skinnyd said:
Anyone done this yet? I just can't seem to get it to run stable. What were your settings?

3200.JPG

2500 Desktop Barton week 0413
NF7-S rev 2.0
1G PC3200 value ram
Default Voltage (1.65v)

OC's up to 2.5G stable.

running my 2500 at 237*11 stable(2606) and just finished vdd mod so it'll be higher soon!!

Back