• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Why is there such a price difference? (1GB HyperX)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Just a little thing. The difference is that the memory offered at Frys will only do 2-3-2-6-1 (CAS Latency 2) at 400MHz (PC3200), while the more expensive memory will do 2-2-2-6-1 @ 400 MHz. Big difference in price though!

Hey musawi, how do you like the patriot memory? How far over stock fsb is it running now? I just started pricing ram to go with the duel 1.6 Xenons that I just picked up. I saw some people talking about how much cheaper it was but I was sceptical because I have never heard about this company before.

Well, just went ahead and ordered some before the price changed, good move??

ellessone said:
Well, just went ahead and ordered some before the price changed, good move??
I would say so because if the description is correct, it is most likely that it will have BH-5 chips in there :thup:

EDIT: btw, let us know what you actually get.

gotensan01 said:
I would say so because if the description is correct, it is most likely that it will have BH-5 chips in there :thup:

EDIT: btw, let us know what you actually get.

I was actually reading on another forum that the KHX3200AK2/1G received the BH-6 chips and that the one I bought is 100% BH-5!!! How do I know, is it listed under the heatspreader?

Another candidate under consideration is Gigaram Memory 184-Pin 1GB DDR PC-3500. There was one customer review at Newegg where the guy claims to hit between 200-230 @ 2-2-2-6 without any voltage increase. Never heard of this company before but apparently they have been around for a while and have gotten some favorable reviews on other memory produts. I attached the link for Newegg below.

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=20-221-001&depa=1

Portage said:
Another candidate under consideration is Gigaram Memory 184-Pin 1GB DDR PC-3500. There was one customer review at Newegg where the guy claims to hit between 200-230 @ 2-2-2-6 without any voltage increase. Never heard of this company before but apparently they have been around for a while and have gotten some favorable reviews on other memory produts. I attached the link for Newegg below.

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=20-221-001&depa=1

- First off, I was not sure if I should try Gigaram brand RAM, as there were no reviews, and appeared to be a new company. Further investigation showed they have been making RAM for quite a while, but only for OEM's like Dell and Sun, not for sale to regular end-users. I ordered two of these PC3500 1GB sticks, and I am currently running them at 400MHz @ 2-2-2-6. Sweet performance...if I raise the timings a bit, I can easily hit 230 MHz or so, which is about 14 MHz past the maximum rated, at which point my motherboard doesn't like to cooperate, regardless of DDR voltage. Excellent RAM, 5 stars. Newegg is great, FedEx is just plain fantastic (they ALWAYS deliver 1 or more days earlier than expected!!)

I would reread that. He says he loosened the timings to hit 230 mhz and the ram is able to run 2-2-2-6 at 200mhz. Kinda sounds like samsung tccd chips, or maybe micron -5bc. Actually it says in the item description "samsung retail" ram so this might be a cheap source for 1gb sticks of samsung tccd. That's a real good price for 1gb sticks.

ellessone
If that outpost.com part number for kingston is correct then it should definitely use bh5 chips. This looks like another vendor clearing out old stock that has no idea how much we would pay for kingston hyperx pc3200 non-a ram. Let us know how it turns out!

Last edited:
Well upon further research I found a review on this ram that said it was not able to do low latency. So I don't really know what to think. It looks like I am back to my old friend Crucial (Ballistix) so I can get 2-2-2-6 timimgs. I won't be able to get a 1 GB stick but the 512MB stick (2 for $248 US) will have to do for now. If there are any better deals out there for low latency mem let me know.

Back