• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is it worth switching from a 9800 Pro to a 6600GT?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Streifenkarl

Okay, this is my "situation": I could sell my current 9800 Pro for 150 €. A new 6600GT AGP would cost me 210€ or even just 200€.

Does the GT have 256MB RAM? And is it worth the switch? I'd like to get rid of my 9800 Pro, but of course not for something that offers the same performance.

Thanks for any opinions on this! :cool:

Well the only 6600GT I know is available the XFX from newegg. this is the GT that everyone wants becuase has GDDR3 clocked at 1ghz. I'm not sure what that price is uk wise but I think if you could sell your 9800pro for decent price it would be worth it. The last thing is it only has 128mb of ram.

I would said use 9800pro for now, since 6600gt don't have extreme advantage over 9800pro, but if I buy new GPU i would get 6600gt

well

I say keep wat u have now and wait 1 year and buy a 6800 VANIlla or buy 1 now
REFURBISHED ON NEWEGG.com is LEADTEK 6800 VANILLA $250 get that

guys i think Streifenkarl is from europe. this means he will buy from a european distributor and not a US one.

on topic, i agree with whats been said above. ive seen the benchmarks and the 6600gt isnt really that far ahead of the 9800pro. hence, after the upgrade, u might not even notice any improvement. and any improvement u do notice will be very slight.

i dont think its a worthwhile upgrade personally. too much hassle for too little gain.

Thanks for the opinions guys, i appreciate it! :beer:

Yes, im from europe, so newegg isnt an option. The cheapest 6600GT AGP i have seen over hear costs 199€ (whatever that is in USD).

But you're right, not worth the hazzle. And since the 6800GT/Ultras are still too expensive my old 9800 has to hold the fort a little longer. Thank god for that VGA Silencer! ;)

Damn, i hate ATI.

Why would you hate ATi? you lost me there. Nothing at all wrong with a 9800 Pro, especialy OC'd they put up great results and are playing games like DOOM3 and HL2 without any problems

Because i have had nothing but problems with this card. Heatsink sucked, drivers suck, games have all sorts of problems (cats 4.4 for this game, 4.7 for that game, 4.10 for latest games... and so on). Then it was the first card i had to RMA twice, until Sapphire was able to get me a working card. All the NVidia cards i have owned before and currently own (in other rigs) do exactly what i expect from them with no problems at all. Unfortunately this is the fastest card i currently own, so it has to stay in my gaming rig.

I know, these are only experiences from one person and not representative, but im done with ATI. Period.

Actually I disagree with you guys on the 9800Pro claim, the Benchmarks I have seen from some sites, show that the 6600GT are quite an impressive amount over the 9800Pro, from ATI. Now I will be upfront to being an Nvidia supporter, but I come at this with an unbiased eye.

Quote "In DOOM 3 we were able to run the GeForce 6600GT AGP in High Quality mode, which enables 8XAF at 1280x1024. As you can see in the graph, the framerate did drop below 30FPS, but it was only briefly and only down to 27FPS which was still very playable. Overall, the average framerate was 54FPS. We tested several intense levels and found this setting to be the best overall. With the Radeon 9800Pro we did have Catalyst A.I. set to its default level, but we had to set the game to Medium Quality which does not have AF enabled. We had to run at 1024x768 in order to get playable performance in DOOM 3 on the 9800Pro compared to 1280x1024 on the 6600GT.

No doubt about it, the NVIDIA GeForce 6600GT gives superior DOOM 3 performance over the aging ATI Radeon 9800Pro. "
End Quote

http://hardocp.com/article.html?art=Njg5LDM=

The above address is where the quote is from.

Above all I knw about the Euro exchange rate, and I say go for the gusto man, if its only a 50Euro difference * and I know how expensive it can be in Europe. I lived in Paris France for a little while* I say go for it while the price is as low as it is, because if Demand and Supply rules apply, the price might possibly go up.

First of all [H]ardOCP reviews SUCK. They can't write a decent review for anything. And second, ALL nvidia graphics cards perform better than their ATi competition in Doom 3. That is the last benchmark anyone should quote because we all know that's nvidia's forte.

Personally, I don't think it's worth it. I'd at least get a 6800GT otherwise it's about a 10-15% improvement over the 9800 Pro in most applications.

http://www.anandtech.com/video/showdoc.aspx?i=2277&p=1

In Source engine games (HL2, Bloodlines), it all depends upon the resolution. HL2 is mostly CPU limited, so it's fill rate dependent. Thus the 6600GT wins in simple scenes with no AA/AF. It's just got faster memory (1Ghz GDDR3). But in shader intense scenes or with AA/AF, the 9800 Pro is better. But for the most part it's about equal.

So a 6600GT would be an improvement, but you have to ask yourself if it's worth 50 Euros to get relatively marginal improvements.

Last edited:
Back