• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

900SLK Help

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

CoachB22

Registered
Hi all,
I purchased a (used) 900slk-A and an Enermax 92mm adjustable fan to replace my stock HSF. I have some questions about how best to use this combo.
1) The fan is much wider than the heatsink. Is this acceptable or should I find a smaller fan? There seems to be a lot of wasted fan 'power'.
2) If this fan is ok, should I have it blowing into or pulling out of the heatsink?
3) There is a 1/4 inch gap between the bottom of the fan and the top of the heatsink. Should I seal that somehow??

I've got good case flow based on the temps. 30C at start up, 35C at full load.
CPU cooling is another matter....41C Idle, 55C loaded. (See why I need a new HSF). Help me get this 900slk working to my best advantage.
Thanks!
CoachB

into the heat sink they are designed to blow in to the heastsink. and dont worry about the size, they work just fine, i like mine :D

I wouldn't say 30C idle is a good case temp. What's the room temp? That fan is fine for that heatsink, and having a 1/4inch gap between the hs and the fan is normal. If you can, use Arctic Silver 5 as the thermal paste.

a bunch of here made custom ducts/shrouds for our SLK900/92mm fan combos- search and you will find all you have ever wanted to know.

Also, are you using a good thermal paste? I recommend Arctic Silver 5 or Ceramique. That will help you lower those cpu temps.

I used to have an slk900a and I just had the 92mm fan blowing into the heatsink and the overhang doesnt hurt anything, it help cool off all of the surronding parts of the motherboard.

Back