• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Did I fry my board??

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

yo4444

I decided to try vdd moddong my board today and afterward I tested by going into bios( to see if board was fried) and checking voltage with multimeter. Everything was fine..i guess.. maybe not.
So I put the whole thing back together, and it wouldn't boot into windows. Bios would load, I could navigate it, but after seeing the silicon image driver screen I would get nothing.
So I try to install my new xp disk and i get to screen asking to press anuy button to boot from cdrom, push a button, and then I get a blank screen with just a cursor flashing..forever..tried this 10000 times with different bios configurations and both cdroms, as well as both Ide inputs.
Decide to boot into a working memtest disk to see if its something with IDE, boot from floppy and get blank black screen after bios splash screen and load screen.
Am I fried?

Ok. It will go into setup if I have my HD unplugged from the SATA input. It is recognised when the silicn image sata driver screen comes up, as maxtor and 160 gig, correctly. Maybe fried sata controller? but y would it be recognised correctly?

it's possible you fried something. just for kicks, run memtest and make sure it's not a memory problem. have you tried running your hd off of both sata ports? luckily, if it's only the sata controller dead, you can get a pci card. hopefully, that's all that's messed up.

Woot!!!!! tried everything..both sata ports.. memtest wouldnt boot..etc...
noticed that it was defaulting to 133 with optomized defaults, so went on a hunch...
had to remove the whole mobo to get the si-97 off and take a look, and sure enough, the L12 mod wire was laying on top of the socket... re-inserted it and viola! it works..
The crappy thing is that in the process of trying to figure it out before, i had the pc on its side trying to install my new xp, and while it was running I uprighted it, and the frigging cdrom put a nice circle of scrrrrraaaatccchh on it!!!
Gonna buy a disk doctor to try to fix it, try to rma it, and if all else fails, dish out another $85.00 for it.. :(

Wow, good to hear that the mod went off without a hitch. Have you used a multimeter to check what vdd you're at right now? It would have taken me forever to think about the L12 mod being out, you're lucky that the wire didn't connect in the wrong way. Good to hear that your board isn't fried. Have you done the vdimm mod yet? Just to ask, what ram IC's do you have with your Corsair VS? Have checked if they like high vdimm?

I haven't doen the vdimm mod, as the VR one looked to tight for my meager soldering skills and the wire on the back of mobo defaulted ram to 3.3. (or 3.4 in my case with psu)
I did use a multimeter to check, and 1.4=1.59-1.6, 1.5=1.69-1.7, etc... NICE! I did not however get a chance to lap the nb cause the kit hadn't come in, I couldn't find fine grit sandpaper here locally, and I was too impatient to wait for the kit to come in today! :attn:

As for the ram IC's, I have no idea. I'm going to copy and paste a previous post here to explain.. waaaaaayyy easier than re-typing it for a hunt and peck typist like me.
here:
Sen, get this.. does this sound screwy to you?
If you remember, yesterday I told you in my mem post that corsair had told me on the phone that my mem was either PC or infineon chips, but they couldnt be sure because ADATA couldnt decid which to use on the lot my Value Select came from.

Now, RAM GUY at corsair tells me this:
"Value Select modules are built with RAMs that are procured at the wafer level and are packaged and tested to our specifications. As such, they are not available as individual ICs, only as modules. This approach allows us to ship product with very good performance characteristics, low product cost, and a very low return rate "

and this when asked about the other tech's response:
"We use more than one manufacturer including our selves with Value Select parts. And as I told you previously this is the concept with Value Select and they do not use Infineon! However, from time to time at our discretion we may substitute a faster module or IC depending on availability! Bottom line I am sorry, I cannot tell you what IC's are used as the IC's we use to make these modules are not purchased in that form!"
Are they being obstinate? Or am I just stuck not knowing my chips, cause there arent any #'s?

Enduro, I'm not sure if they like high vdimm, as I haven't gotten over 2.9 with them yet.. this black mantaray bios will actually run them at 237 and 2.8 vs the 2.9 i had to use with other bios's to hit 237

EDIT: bought a disk doctor today and my xp is now setting up.. hopefully it will get all the way through

O.K., you wont believe this crap...
xp worked fine, loaded drivers, updates etc.
Put a few games on the hd
dl'd new firmware for my drives, and turned off pc to unlpug one of them so I could install firmware on the other.
one of my fans came unplugged and was routed under/through my si-97 so did a little bumping while plugging it back in..
start comp and get no splash screen, no post beep, but all fans are working and drives are running. No video at all tho...
WTF!!
tried moving sink around a little..checking connections.. nothing..
crap
what'd I do?

Try reseating your ram. That could very well be the problem. Did you bump your computer pretty hard while it was on? My brother had that happen. I bumped his computer while it was on, then it wouldn't boot up, but the fans would run. Thought it was the hdd at first, but reseated the ram and that helped.

tried that..didnt work.. then i just took the whole thing apart.. thought i might have unseated the cpu HS. Figuer I'd lap my nb while i was at it. put it back together and its fine, now with a lapped NB and my nb-1c. :D
I do however have a different problem. I ran HD tune on my HD, and it put avg bandwith at 46Mb, burst at 91, and said on info screen that ultra ata/133 was supported, not the 150 it should support. Why might that be?

Hmmm. I have no experience with that at all. I know a good amount about motherboards , cpus, and memory. But hand me a hdd and I can point you to Ranish Partition Manager and the Windows CD lol :D Sorry man. Good to hear that your computer is up and running just fine though. Any benefit as of yet? or is your ram awaiting your vdimm mod right now.

well, I still have .1v to go with vdimm so no mod yet. But that .1v doesn't seem to get me anywhere, no matter what I do.
will 3.3-3.4v be horribly bad for my ram? I'm too bad a solderer to di the vdimm mod with vr, but could handle the back of the mobo wire mod.

I honestly don't know about your ram. I do know that usually Winbond or Samsung chips seem to respond well to voltage. Winbond goes higher, but Samsung will max out at around 3.1V. Hynix will max out at 2.9V or even lower depending. If you feel like you can spare your ram, then go ahead. If not, then I wouldn't do the mod personally. A few xtra fsb isn't worth killing your ram and motherboard, but that's just me. I've had my motherboard almost die on me before, and I like having a working computer more than I like having 5 more fsb. Just something to think about.

Back