• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FireGL for Gaming?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

apu318

Disabled
Welland: Most drug use per capita in Canada.
I'm thinking about buying a FireGL X1-128 card to replace my 9600XT. I realize this card is made for CAD and stuff, but it seems like a souped up 9700 pro. Hoow good would this card perform in gaming compared to a normal 9700pro or a 9800 pro. I know it would do better than my 9600XT right off the bat because the memory interface is 256bit.. and it has 4 more pipelines and 4 parallel geometry engines.

The difference between a FireGL and a normal card from what I remember is basically just in the BIOS. It has a few tweaks to work better for CAD stuff, but no real architectural differences from the plain jane 9700pro. I could be wrong since it's been a while, but a search on the forums should bring up a thread or two.

JigPu

JigPu said:
The difference between a FireGL and a normal card from what I remember is basically just in the BIOS. It has a few tweaks to work better for CAD stuff, but no real architectural differences from the plain jane 9700pro. I could be wrong since it's been a while, but a search on the forums should bring up a thread or two.

JigPu
As well as special drivers.

Let's not forget the AGP Pro50 requirement, as well as tighter power regulation and cleaner filters (supposedly) Also, notice that they have a Dual Slot shield/bracket and best of all have DUAL DVI!!! :clap:

I hope ur getting the 9700pro for real cheap, as I would recommend you take a look at the 6600GT AGP cards for a replacement. I just replaced my 9700PRO with one, (yes reluctantly but nvidia is better at the moment) and the performance for the price is outstanding! Take a look at some of the reviews on Hardocp or any other hardware site, and you will see that the 6600GT's are scoring on par with the X800s! :eek:

i would wait. I once got a modded VJ 9700 from ebay from some dude. Blew 3 mobos and the card was DOA. Go for something a little better form a store.

Back