• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Thoughts on this case?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

DuckDodgers

I have been thinking of buying the case below. It is a Raidmax. Dunno anything about it but the reviews on Newegg, and all were positive for the most part. I have been using an Enlight case for the last 3yrs, it has treated me well. Just thinking of a change. Any thoughts?

Case Type: Gaming Case
Color: Black
Material: 0.7mm SECC
Drive Bays: 5.25" x 4/0, 3.5" x 2/4 (external/internal)
Expansion Slots: 7
Front Ports: 2 USB ports and Audio
Power Supply: 420W
Cooling System: 2 x 80mm
Motherboard Compatibility: ATX Form Factor 12" x 10.5" or smaller
Dimensions: (DxWxH) 17.2" x 7.8" x 16.9"

Welcome to the forums.

It comes with budget fans, likely poor quality.

Airflow is fairly bad to to extreme restriction of vents. The window fan isn't placed optimally, it is too far forward. Moving it back, it will be over the GPU and CPU area more, and will be better for cooling.

Bundled PSU will be a POS.

Thanks for the input... guess I'll keep looking. Have one one other question. Which is better PSU that draw from the bottom or top?
The Duck

You can not really beat that for the price. What I would recommend if you dont mind spending a little more is the Antec amg 1000 series. They are great cases and come with an antec truepower 430. Very nice cases and quite a bit of room. 4 5.25, 2 3.5 & 4 internal hard drive slots possible.

evowatercooling said:
You can not really beat that for the price. What I would recommend if you dont mind spending a little more is the Antec amg 1000 series. They are great cases and come with an antec truepower 430. Very nice cases and quite a bit of room. 4 5.25, 2 3.5 & 4 internal hard drive slots possible.
This too is along the lines of what I recommend. Or a cheiftech/chenming variant of the same case with a forton PSU.

The false economy of cheap cases bundled with PSUs, is:

case needs modification not to suck (time, effort, money for equipment)
fans generally blow chunks (need to be replaced for decent airflow and noise)
psus are crap. you either need to buy another one or wait for the likelyhood of the crap one failing possibly killing components worth more than the case and psu and having to buy a new PSU.

with those crap psus, i would power fans with them. thats it :(

Yeah, it is to bad that they make such attractive cases and then screw it up with cheap components and bad design.
Thanks
The Duck

I got that same case, only I got it for like 20 bucks on ebay, it came without the PSU but that was better since that one is crap. It's a nice case, the filter on the window fan is easily removed for better air flow

grimm003 said:
I got that same case, only I got it for like 20 bucks on ebay, it came without the PSU but that was better since that one is crap. It's a nice case, the filter on the window fan is easily removed for better air flow
Did you mod any of the vents at all...ie; cut out the grilles? How is the airflow?

thats not a bad case duck. the psu is a very solid 350W. if you dont need the extra internal 3.5" bays i would recommend this csae instead

http://www.newegg.com/app/viewProductDesc.asp?description=11-129-148&depa=0

Its the Antec slk2650bqe. Its almost identical except for the drive cages and its cheaper. the psu is a 350W as well but is rated for 21A on the 12V rail :). also, the 5.25" bays are screwless and the 3.5" bay is removable for easy install of drives.

Back