• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

how do i connect fans?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Alexandria

Registered
hello.. i have 2 evercool aluminum fans (120mm), antec p-160 case and an abit nf7-s board.... im not sure how to connect the fans... in a guide i read it said to connect the fans to a plug from the psu or somthing.. but the only connecter on the fan is the kind u connect to the motherboard x.X.. and the motherboard only has 3 fan plugs on it.. the cpufan, psufan, and a "chafan"?? whatever that is.. im assuming thats for the case fans but why is there only 1?? what should i do?

lol the adapters came with teh fans accualy.. i just didnt find em ^^;; but they have like the male and female plug things on it??... am i supposed to plug it into 2 different cables from the psu? o.0

make sure that one of the lines of connectors coming off of your psu only has fans connected to it, than have another line coming off of your psu that has your hard drives and cd drives on it. If you read that other thread that was mentioned above it tells you the danger of putting fans and expenisive equipment on the same line off of the power supply.

ah i see... my psu has on line with 2 connecters and a little lable on it that says *fan only* is that what i should use?....

Than just hook up all of your fans to that line, Antec puts those on their power supplies so you can keep your fans on a seperate line and not lose a normal connector.

I just took the connectors off the wires, and soldered the wires together at one point, bound that up with electrical tape, and then attached a connector on the end. sounds complicated but its not

Edit: WOOT! 5 stars!

huh.

well why not connect your Evercool fans to the "chafan" (chassis i.e. case fan)connector and the "psufan" connector ... ? I am assuming your PSU already has its own fan internally ... ! (you can feel air blowing out of it right?)

You'll probably want to use the "cpufan" connector for your CPU HS fan of course.

the mobo fan headers provide 3-4 watts apiece, plenty for the Evercool aluminum.

You can get all fancy and stuff and connect the Evercool fans to a 4-pin cable but why bother. Get fancy later.

the wesson

the "psufan" is used for the pse fan xP it had a little cable comming out of it saying *psufan* so i figured that went there, heh

Back