• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

About to setup a wireless network, few questions need to be answered

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

MameXP

Hi there,

I'm about to setup a wireless network. Here is the list of my questions:

1. If i want 128bit WEP enryption, WPA, MAC filtering in my wireless network, do i need all wireless devices in my network support this? Ok i mean... if my client with a latop want to join my secured network, does his wireless adapter has to have these security features? Currently i'm going to buy one WAP that has all these feature...

2. Extend from question #1, my WAP with WEP, WPA, MAC filtering is gonna be bridged with another WAP with only WEP. IS my wireless networking still have WEP, WPA and MAC filtering?

3. I want to have a sub network connect my private network wirelessly, what do i need? AP-to-AP bridging? or AP-to-Wireless bridge? I'm confused as some AP say it support WDS bridging/reapeating, and other AP say it support AP-to-AP bridging.....

THanks in advance
-MameXP

Here is a network diagram of what i plan to setup:

attachment.php

myDesired-small.JPG

So DeviceA is a WAP , what is the DeviceB? WAP or Bridge?

Last edited:
well to answer question one. its the router that encryps everything. so the NIC's just receive that encrypted signal, so all nics will be compatable, unless u got some olldddddddddddd *** nic

ps2cho said:
well to answer question one. its the router that encryps everything. so the NIC's just receive that encrypted signal, so all nics will be compatable, unless u got some olldddddddddddd *** nic

Oh? so what happens when the Wireless adapter sending signals/data?

He doesn't explain it well.
There are basically a few different grades of Encrpytion.

64Bit (this is sometimes called 40bit)
128bit
256bit

Now *every* product that wants to connect to your WAP has to support at Least the setting that the Router is on. For example in this laptop i have an ORiNOCO Silver which only supports 64bit so i would have to have use that on my Router or AP (if i wanted encryption, but i dont use it)
Just read you first post, this goes for WPA too, (and you cant use WPA and WEP) But as for MAC filtering thats a solely AP side operation, the AP just ignores transmissoins from Un-Allowed MACs

On to your other problem
I've never wirelessly bridged two networks so i'm not really an expert here however i'll have a go:
Ok it appears that whereas you can get dedicated wireless Brigdes(WET54G) they are expensive and some WAP can work in Client Mode(WRT54g). This client mode would be want you want to do, however this client mode WAP would Not broadcast wirelessly, it would simply be for wired access at sight B

Great, I've figured everything out. Thanks for the support guys. Especially to my friend, su root.

The reason i need to figure this quick is to know what to buy, figure the cost and report that to my boss. I will go for WPA with RADIUS key (not TKIP). Hopes thing will go fine.

Thanks.

Back