• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

vdimm mod question !!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Xtreme Barton

ok i read in one aricle that the small resistor you solder too has to be taken out ..
but others dont mention this .. which is correct ??

well i completed it .. but unfortunelty its not working correctly .. i left the small resistor in so maybe i need to take it out ?? i would hate to take it out and then find out that i need it .. somebody help please !!

i can read my voltages and check all connections so its installed correctly .. hmmm .. :bang head

Can you post some pictures? Which guide did you follow? Does the mod just not do anything or is something else happening?

well the darn thing came off (small teeny tiny resistor) ...

will it still work without ???

going off this pic doesnt look to have a resistor on it so i'll try it without.. hopefully it will be ok ..

"Note that for vdimm mod you have to remove resistor R749 from board." Malves quoted from Malvescorner.com

Ok, well I never removed any resistors when doing my V-Dimm mod. So I wouldn't have taken it off

This thread is pretty hurting with out any info.

What V-Dimm guide are you using?

the resistor in question (the one on the board) can either be left on or removed. if its removed you need to use a fixed resistor INLINE with your potentiometer.

the reason some people remove it is they find it easier to solder it all up without that tiny resistor there. so they just remove it completely and use a fixed resistor in its place.

ok soo sorry for vagueness..

nf7-s v2.0

using http://malvescorner.com/images/nf7vddvbt.jpg and also http://www.motherboardfaqs.com/content.php?content.15

also can some who knows a little about this cruise on over to http://www.radioshack.com/default.asp?site=top_home
and help me find a 10 ohm fixed resistor ??? also a 200 ohm not sure exactly what im looking for .. i used the part number off the motherboardfaq guide..

but it doesnt give one for the 10 ohm fixed... and malves uses a 200 ohm and only two solder points and no small resistor is on the board either..

if anyone would know as how to find the trace i need on the back of a nf7-s i would apreciate it if you could help ... in the pictur is what spot i need found.. where he arrow points i need to know where that is on the back exactly .. (the point where im suppose to solder)

and one more for a soldering question.. will it help if i buy flux to help solder stick to board ?? i seem to have an issue of solder wanting to stick ..

any pointers please feel free..

Attachments

• pic2.bmp
    91.3 KB · Views: 74
The resistor should not have been removed. The method that you are looking at, is incase you over heat the solder point, and the resistors lifts off. Seeing how that is now a moot point, you are going to have to use the fixed resisotr and a 1k ohm pot. The difficulty of the mod also just increased 2 fold.

Here are the resistors. http://www.radioshack.com/category.asp?catalog_name=CTLG&category_name=CTLG_011_002_014_001&Page=1

You are going to want to use a 1/4w as 1/2w will be a bit harder to solder for this delicate job. Id probally glue the resistor down to the MB somewhere, and than attach the legs. Make sure you are using a low wattage iron. 25w is more than enough for this job. Make sure it gets up to temp before trying to do anything. Also you are going to want a very fine point tip for this job, don't foget to tin the tip. I have done this to a few NF7s, and its deffinatly one of the harder mods that I have done. Be very careful, if you screw it up, much worse than it is, consider the MB done.

yeah i might just post it in classifieds for the pro to tinker with .. i should hve never tried this .. because my soldering skills are extemely limited..

i may try the fixed resisitor but then again i may just order a 64 bit setup...

so pissed i messed this up .. just got my mobile and new ram too... :bang head :bang head

who knows ... thanks for the help .. !!

Id be willing to fix it for you, provided it is not badly damaged. PM me and we can discuss detials.

Back