• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What all is available for PCI-X?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

boostdfd3s

Disabled
hey every1,
i cant really find anything except RAID and SCSI cards available in PCI-X form. Reason why im looking is if i build a dual opteron system it'll be on a Tyan board and they dont have much for AGP or PCI slots....

so what all is out there for PCI-X? Or will it function as a regular PCI if i stick a PCI card in? (stupid question)

-Zach

The primary reason for PCI-X is IO rate. You can expect to find disk controllers(SCSI, SATA, PATA and various RAID), Fiber channel and other high rate interfaces, and network cards(Gbit, multi port Gbit and some other varieties). Some PCI cards will be capable of running in PCI-X slots, but many are incompatible. This will slow the interface rate down to 32/33 and may not be fully supported on all boards. One other note, if you are looking to OC, Tyan is usually not a good choice, stability yes, OC no.

Back