• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Anyway to make monitors brighter?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Foxie3a

Normal Member
I have a nice flat CRT for my main monitor, and an old el cheapo 19 inch for my second one that I use to play movies and stuff while I do very important things like making posts like that.

Only problem is that that 19 inch is so dark that it bothers me. If a movie is dark, like if someone goes into a dark room everything is practically non-visible.

So is there any way that I can make the screen brighter without damaging it? I really can't afford to lose that monitor.

And yes, brightness is at 100%.

Future Power is the company.

the only thing that i can think of is to replace it, if the brightnes is all the way up i dont think there is any other brightness adjustment.
but i could be wrong.

~Magick_Man~

magick_man said:
the only thing that i can think of is to replace it

Thank You. :)

But does anyone know of any way I can change this one?

Maybe today I'll take a picture of them together and show how dark this one is in contrast to my main one. Its just absurd!

movies will always look darker on a computer monitor. you need to set up a color profile for a "movie mode" so to speak. go into your display advanced setting and fool around with that stuff. jack up the gamma and adjust the brightness and contrast and color settings and it should look a whole lot better.

~z

Everything is all adjusted through software..... I guess I'm talking about a hardware modification.

I suspect that inside the case there is a hardware adjustment for brightness, just like with most television sets. If you don't know what you are doing, however, my recommendation is to not take off the case - there is too much high voltage there for a non-electronics type person - and you could get hurt or killed. Bring it to a TV repair shop and ask if they can help. They may get a small fee to make the adjustment for you.

On the other hand, many stores have 17 and 19 inch monitors dirt cheap these days. Maybe it's better to buy a new one for $50-$100 than to spend $20-$30 to have an old monitor adjusted.

- Wisdom

Excellent idea! I'll look open her up myself and take a looksy.

What does the switch look like? Are there other switches that do other things?

OK Foxie, the fact that you think you're looking for a switch tells me that you should not be opening up the case. There is high voltage inside the case that's generated to accelerate electrons from the back of the crt to the front face to paint the image. That voltage is present when the monitor is turned on and when the monitor is turned off (since it builds up within the crt aquadag (term abuse). This high voltage can hurt or kill you if you touch the wrong thing. Or if you decide to probe with a tool and cause a spark that makes you jump and hit the crt - well, they can implode and hurt you too.

My very strong recommendation is to leave the case on and bring it to someone familiar with TV's or monitors. Otherwise you may get hurt.

- Wisdom

I know its not an "on/off" switch, I just didn't know what to call it. You didn't call it anything special besides "hardware adjustment". Does it look like a pot in a PSU?

And all my probing tools have plastic handles. ;)

Back