• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

X700xt or 6600GT - Best for PCI-e?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ap673

I'm looking at the best PCI-E video card solution for $200-$300 and it looks like it's either the x700xt or 6600GT. As far as I know they're just about neck and neck, so I really don't know which I should buy. Advantages for x700xt is smaller die size for ocing oppurtunities, and a little faster in HL2. 6600GT however has higher clock speeds and SM3.0. Does anyone know which is really best for PCI-E?

Based off the review the 6600gt seems better fps wise.

On a side note i recent the fact the 9700pro get so low fps in most of these tests. I can run my 9700pro on my barton system and get higher fps with more AA/AF almost twice the amount of that.

Because these reviews suck. All of the reviews I have read so far are nothing like what I get in real world gaming. I just installed fraps, and on my OC'ed GT I can run at 1600x1200 at 6x 16x and get frames between 130 and 60 I am not running at high quality and have aniso optomizing on. Thats good enough for me, and I'd be happy to post my excel file from my gaming when I get home from work. I believe the 9700 pro kicks ***. Mine was awsome. I would like another one for my work machine when they are down just a bit more because I have the water block for it and I could play all my games and it looked 10,000 times better than the 5800NU I am using there now.

6600GT. The only benches where the X700 has any significant advantage is HL2, and it's around 10%. Most other benches go to the 6600GT. I believe the 6600GT PCI-E is also cheaper because nvidia wants you to upgrade to PCI-E instead of buying the AGP version, which costs a bit more. Of course, it also might have something to do with the limited supply of AGP versions out right now. Pricewatch only has 2 listings for the AGP version and it's about $30-40 more than most PCI-E versions.

Or because they just launched and you can barely get them right now. NewEgg had 'em, but they're out of stock now. I don't think they'll be dropping the price any time soon. The PCI-E version had the same bridge, only in reverse for previous cards, so there's no additional cost.

Back