• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

NV Silencer 5 installed, now problems...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jbarket

I have a PNY 6800GT, and I recently installed the NV Silencer 5. The noise level is great, but I seem to be having stability problems with it.

I used to run around 410/1150 without 0 artifacting. I've had this card as high as 425/1250, but I would occasionally get artifacting... but no crashing issues.

Right now after installing that, it autodetects at only 401/1020, and even at that 3DMark 05 crashes almost immediately.

My temps seemed a little high at first, but I don't really remember what they were with the stock cooler... and at first of course I had to cook the silicon paste that it came with (probably should have used AS5, but oh well).

I can't really tell how well its touching, but it looked like it was very tight to me. I was actually a little apprehensive about tightening it and not hurting the core. I spread silicon over the core with the plastic bag trick, and it said to put a good bit on each piece of ram so I just put a bead in the middle of each and set the HS on it.

Right now it's idling at 62C, showing an ambient of 34C around it. Does this seem high? Should I tighten things up?

It attaches via those 4 screw holes, so I don't really think it could be misseated.

Just cleaned up my cables even more and completely cleaned/AS5'd the NV Silencer.

Man, talk about a temp drop. Before the AS5 has even had a second to cook, my idle temps are at 45C.

Awesome. Thanks guys. I'll have to see how hard I can push it now.

hmm I can only get 54 idle with AS5/NV5, how tight did you tight the screw, also how much AS5 did you put on, I put a thin layer on all mem and core. case temp is around 30c

s002wjh said:
hmm I can only get 54 idle with AS5/NV5, how tight did you tight the screw, also how much AS5 did you put on, I put a thin layer on all mem and core. case temp is around 30c
<keep in mind that his room temp could be alot lower than yours, so temps are reletive>

However your temps seem high cuz my case temp is about 31c* and I get better temps on stock cooling.

s002wjh said:

I have a 6800GT with an NV5. I idle about 52-53c; room temps in the mid 60's (F). I also put AS5 on the core, and used the paste that came with the NV5 on the RAM.

I think I may have put too much AS5 on the core. My original concern was that there wasn't good contact; after tightening and then removing to see if I was making contact, it looked like I needed a dab more AS5 on the core.

Under heavy load (running @ ultra speeds) I get high 60's -- still not too bad, but not great. Considering how cool the room is, it should be cooler, so I guess I should reapply. Suggestions?

Room temp is right under 20C.

As far as screwing it goes, I did my best to check that there was contact like the instructions said, and then tightened each about a quarter turn to make it snug.

With the AS5, I put it on super thin on the core, and slightly less super thin on the mem. I wish I had taken pictures though, because this was the best clean/AS5 job I've ever seen. Afterwards, I really had the urge to redo my CPU (and would have if it didn't mean taking my motherboard out of the case to get my HSF off).

I cleaned everything with alcohol, and covered each piece from edge to edge with AS5 as thin as was required by the directions.

Chances are though, unless you just put too much AS5 on, it's probably differences in our case and room temps.

Yea thats pretty low, i idled on stock cooling @ 54c when oced load was about 70c and with my waterblock i idle @ 42-41c, i never pass 49c even when i overclock to my breaking point.

I'm having similar problems w/ my NV Silencer 4 and my MSI 5950u. I can run it at stock fine, w/ idle temps around 43c and load temps hop up to 70c during 3dMark '03 ProxyCon test!

If I overclock 5~10, I get artifacts, lots of "triangles" and tearing.

I put a very thin layer of AS5 on the core and a little on all of the mem, nothing too thick. I tightened everything down and it looks like it's contacting well... but those temps and the artifacts are annoying as hell.

Any suggestions?

Couple of thoughts on your issue.

One is of course that it's still not seated right. If you have the AS5 laying around, clean the whole thing really good with alcohol and then go at it again. Burn the thing in and if your temps are still high, this probably isn't the issue.

The other thought is, what are your case temps like, and how quickly does the temp rise? If it's creeping up that high, then it sounds to me like hot air isn't escaping your case fast enough.

The temp rises instantly, jbarket. It only takes a couple seconds to jump up to ultra high temps. So that tells me it's either not seated right, or the AS5 is screwing something up, too much, too little, something, I agree w/ you.

I'm also asking in this thread and plan on taking care of it all later this evening, getting to the bottom of the problem. I'll be posting pics as well.

Back