• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

The Highest Clock Speed

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

overclocker2600

Registered
Hey Guys whassup!

I was wondering what is the highest clock speed you can get with a 2500+ barton core? i already got it up to 2.365ghz and i was wondering can i go higher than this clock speed?

Hi, welcome to the forums!

From what I have seen, mobile chips seem to be hitting 2.3 to 2.7GHz when overclocked, with anything over 2.7GHz being less common. What cooling and voltage are you using?

I agree with David. Between 2.3 and 2.7GHz depending on the CPU is a pretty safe estimate, although overclocking is never very consistent and one batch of CPUs may not overclock as well as another batch.

i am using an thermaltake volcano 10 heantsink on my cpu and i have a regular 2500+ barton core. my voltage is right now around 1.69-1.80

overclocker2600 said:
I was wondering what is the highest clock speed you can get with a 2500+ barton core? i already got it up to 2.365ghz and i was wondering can i go higher than this clock speed?

Yes, you can go higher... do you want a high CPU overclock or a high RAM/FSB overclock? You probably won't get a high overall CPU oc with a high RAM/FSB oc and vice-versa. Also depends heavily on what your board and RAM will do in terms of high FSB.

Any idea what stepping chip you have?
Housemates just picked up an 09/04 2500, sat at 2.4ghz on ~ 1.625v atm which isnt bad at all. As the others above have said 2.3-2.7 is the usual range. Just keep going pushing the cpu until the temps get too high or you arent willing to push more voltage through it

Ram loves voltage, so if you upped the VDIMM slightly and relaxed the timings you could get the ram to run faster thus allowing you to have a higher FSB if your CPU is not already maxed out.

do you have a locked 2500? if so, your FSB is the only way you are going to push that chip. seems that if this is the case you are already running @ 11x215 for 2.365Ghz. you may have hit the limit with your valueram but try @mdOCer's suggestion by upping the voltage and relaxing the timings to see if you can go higher.

I could hit 2400mhz max on my barton,2500 if i was lucky,nice oc you got thier.

My mobile on the other hand,i can go 2.72 on air w/ my slk 800 and sf2 but not 100% stable unless i crank the voltage up

i do have a locked 2500 the only way that i can overclock it is by changing the fsb. I havent changed any voltage yet but im going to try what harlam357 said about upping the voltage. i hope i dont fry my board.

overclocker2600 said:
i do have a locked 2500 the only way that i can overclock it is by changing the fsb. I havent changed any voltage yet but im going to try what harlam357 said about upping the voltage. i hope i dont fry my board.

If you are increasing voltage then keep an eye on your CPU temperatures using a program like Motherboard Monitor or Speedfan. Keep temps under 50C where possible, and definately under 60C.

Speedfan: http://www.almico.com/speedfan.php?ExtraId=1211
Motherboard Monitor: http://mbm.livewiredev.com/

David said:
If you are increasing voltage then keep an eye on your CPU temperatures using a program like Motherboard Monitor or Speedfan. Keep temps under 50C where possible, and definately under 60C.

This is most true when increasing your vCore. Stay under 60c when at full load- 50c if possible. What I was refering to was your ram voltage or vDimm. You may need to put a little more juice to your dimms to get them past 215, which is already a good oc for valueram. You may also need to relax your ram timings to something like 3-4-4-8... not sure what you default timings are but these will probably be a little looser.

CandymanCan said:
I have an Unlocked 2500 right before they started locking them and it did about 2350mhz.

the desktop bartons run on 1.65v at default speeds. the mobiles run on 1.35-1.45v depending on the model, the 2500 runs on 1.45v. this causes the mobile bartons to be a more overclockable processor than the desktop version since it runs default speeds at a lower vcore- not to mention that the mobiles are all unlocked. so oc2600, you may have just reached the limit of your 2500, but you can still try some of our suggestions by increasing the cpu voltage, ram voltage, and loosening your timings. you can also try adding more voltage to your chipset... some people think there is a benefit by increasing the chipset voltage, others don't. the problem with that is that you can't monitor your northbridge core temperature from the mobo, so you don't know if you are frying your board or not by adding too much vdd... you need an external sensor if you are going to check the nb core temp.

hey guys its me again!

Thanks everybody for helping me out because i actually hit the 2.4ghz mark.
Im sooooooooo happy! I actually hit 2.4ghz with my crappy ram! lol Thanks everybody again for your advice! :cool:

so, a barton 2500+ mobile chip is the golden kid for AthlonXP right now?? I'm in the market looking for a XP system. they all come unlocked and lower v.core? what kind of speed rating it will be like 2.3-2.4ghz??

also, my main concern is noise! so been quiet, is 2.3-2.4 (or more) still obtainable?? and what kind of good quiet cooler do you guys recommend??

sorry for all the questions, I've been away from AMD quite a little while..... :p

TIA!!

Back