• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

cpu cooler noob question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Quailane

Hey, I am looking for a cooler for a socket 939 processor and I was wondering if a socket 478 cooler will fit? I see some coolers say they fit 478 and 754,939, and 940, but I wonder if they are interchangeable.

im not sure if they are interchangeable, but I know some heatsinks come with different attachment brackets for different cpus.

The bracket for the socket 939 is completley different from the socket 478 heatsink retention bracket.

The multiple support just means that heatsink manufacturer just designed it so that it's cross platform, not because of the inherit shape of the retention brackets.

In theory you could modify it and try to find the retention bracket for the socket 939, but I am not sure if it would be better and cheaper just to get one specifically made for it.

the spec pressure is 75inch lbs of hold down force, so unless you really have some skill, stick with factory holdowns. Quick note, if you go for a mod block, the zaleman 7000 block the 1st 2 dimm sockes on the msi board, and I did have great success with the Aerocool HT 101, with 2 80mm fans push pull. Looks cool too, but don't recomentd for lan party rig, to heavy.

When you also place in the variable of the heaviness, after awhile (unless you have some awesome epoxy) the hsf will start to come loose from the CPU just from the force of gravity and the sheer weight of it.

Back