• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Upgrading to PC3200 worth it?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

leakypipe86

I currently run a:

ASUS P4SD-LA
P4 2.6 Ghz w/ HT
1024 MB DDR RAM PC2700
128MB Radeon 9800 Pro

I am getting not so hot performance in games. I was told that my mobo can hit 800 FSB because it supports hyper-threading. But, in order to make it run at 800 FSB, I need at least PC3200 RAM. My mobo supports up to PC3200 so it makes sense. So would upgrading help me out alot?
Also, I would be fine by just taking out the old sticks and putting in the new RAM right? No need to mess with BIOS settings or anything?

Hi and welcome to the forums :)

The CPU should run OK at 800MHz FSB and use Hyperthreading (which you may need to turn on in the BIOS) but because the RAM only runs at 166MHz/333Mhz DDR then you may have a bit of a bottleneck there, as the CPU FSB runs at 200MHz/800MHZ QDR, so PC3200 RAM will run in sync with it, meaning better performance.

You should be able to just pop out the old sticks and pop in the new ones, if the board is set to automatically set speeds and timings. Either way, its not hard to do and will improve performance a bit.

welcome my friend.. also remember some pc2700 can easily run 200+ mhz. my kvr pc2700 will run 255 at 3.2 volts and 208 at 2.8 volts. so make sure u test out ur memory b4 buying new. u might be able to save some cash..

Back