• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

formatting

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ToxicRat

Registered
i want to format my comp..
but i don't have a butnere to backup all the files i want to..
so i decied to open my old comp and take out of there the HD (2.5 giga)
anyway.. i pluged off the Hd to my currect HD
but when i'm turning on the comp i asking for Sysetm disc and it wont load..
my friend told me that i should set the 2.5 giga hd to be the secendery hd or something.. but i have no clue how to do it..
any help will be welcome

Cheers

Be sure you set the second harddrive up on the secondary ide channel.

if there's an operating system on that 2.5 gb drive, it may conflict with the other drive if you're running them off the same primary channel.

Oh I re-read your post.

If you don't know how to set to slave its going to be a jumper on the rear of the HD. There should be sticker or engraved table showing which jumper sets to master/slave etc.

step one jumper the drive to slave
step two connect to grey connector or slave on ata100 cable
step three boot to floppy and fdisk it.

if win2k you can just go to computer management/disk drives and format from taht but I would just fdisk it from a boot disk it is easier.

What kind of hard drive is it? If you haven't figured uot how to do it yet, post what HDD you have (the 2.5). And then we'll be able to tell you exactly where to put the jumpers.

hmm in youre post it says you took off the Main HD and plug in the 2.5gig? but if you took off the Main HD you will not be able to boot up?

So all u need to do is put the Main one back in and then plug the 2 gig as Slave then go in youre Bios and make sure its set there 2

how to set it in youre bios 1. you can set DRIVE2 to AUTO detect
Or Choise USERTYPE ? something like that :)

then to formate youre 2gig just but in the WIn98 boot Disk and run Fdisk then chage the HD to the second one.....D: or HD 2 in the DOS promet

then just take off any OS that could be on then run a Format D:
and -=POOF=- it should work fine....
if you have the IDE 100 cable it should work fine on the older HD

any othere problems just post it in here :) have fun

omg thats too much for a poor n00b like me =/
i'll try it out though
cheers

p.s.. i have an OS instaleld on the 2nd hd too... i have to format it? or i still can tranfer stuff from each other when there are OS insatalled in em?

Correction, if the drive is set as slave, he can transfer all the files he wants to. My second HDD in this rig has Mil installed on it, "just in case". If anything happens to my primary, allI have to do is move a jumper from my primary HDD to my secondary, and I can boot into and OS, backup files, and then reinstall on the primary again, after switching the jumper back. Then all I have to do is move files back to the primary again. Sounds kinda complicated, but it's pretty simple really. I prefer doing it this way because it's faster than if I'd backed everything up on a CD. Drive to drive transfer rates are much faster.

yes that would work 2 but i think hes got a old 2gig and like win2x on it i think he will only need to Format if he whants of uses youre trick :)
hey keep it if you whant :) i do not care :D

damn opend my comp....
i thought it aint gonna be hard..
culdent find the f jumpers.. i don't think i know how do they look like anyway =[
i have no clue what slave is,..
or what IDE1 or ata100 are..
pic would help but good explenation would be welcome =[
i'm sorry for the stupid Q

Back