• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

4x 256MB RAM vs 2x 512MB RAM ???

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Tea_J

Hi guys,

i was just thinking....currently, i have 2x 256MB DD400 Geil RAM - dual channel.

What is better if i wanted to upgrade to 1GB of ram? get another pair of the above? or dish it and get 2 512MB DDR400 RAM Modules set at dual channel juz like the above?

Which is better? and why?

I was thinking (and i have no clue if it's true), that 4 ram modules could be better since it's like having 4 separate machines running compared to two machines (methaporically).. also, 4 RAMs would be better.. coz it's prolly less heat? and less stress on each module??

Was also thinking 2 RAMs is better / faster coz the cpu doesnt need to access 4 banks when looking for data.

but what do i know right? :D

by the way, do not take account expandability on this question of mine. i've no further plan of expanding to above 1GB of RAM in the near future or so.

juz wondering.

tea

if i remember correctly, 2x512 should not only perform better but also overclock better (someone please correct me if i'm wrong). i don't remember the engineering reasons behind it, but i'm pretty sure that's right. what's your current mobo?

tea_j, your sig is not displaying... 2x256 will overclock better than 2x512 due to the 256 modules being single sided- someone please correct me if i'm wrong. i can't be sure about 4x256.

hmm.. my sig wont display.. that's weird..

anyway here's my system

MSI 865PE NEo2-P Platinum Edition
P4 2.4Ghz Prescott - oc @ 3.04Ghz (169x18)
2x 256MB DDR400 Geil RAM dual channel - oc @ 425mhz
GeCube Radeon 9550xt 400/250 - oc @ 467/280
80GB Hitachi Desktar (HD0)
40GB Samsung (HD1)
Intel 300w PSU

hmm.. so if that's true having 4 256 MB's is better.. yeah?

what's wrong with my sig?

No it is not. Simply put: the more modules you put on a memory bus, the more "load" is on that bus in form of parasitic capacitance, length of PCB traces and things like that. Otherwise manufacturers could easily add 2 more slots for some mainboards. But they can't since at current clockspeeds it's just not possible to guarantee a clear signal with 6 banks and unbuffered RAM.
Serverboards which do have more memory slots than 4 use registered RAM for exactly this reason.
It is true that 512MB are usually worse overclockers since they are double sided: 2 "banks" of memory on a single memory PCB. So you have the choice between 4 banks on 2 PCBs (512MB) or 4 banks on 4 PCBs (256MB). Since the additional PCBs introduce additional capacitance problems (at the DIMM contact fields), you're better off running 2x512MB if you want 1GB of RAM.

hmm.. quite confusing this topic is.. anybody else care to throw in some thoughts on this?

Buy the 512MB x 2 and try 512MB x 2 and 256MB x 2? You can always just use the 1GB with 512MB or try 1.5GB with all your RAM.

is that right? whatever happened to the vastness of knwoledge and experience of our community here if everyone has to go thru the same trial and error situation? :D

im sure someone here has "Facts" or "Experience" they can share instead of me paying mucho dinero to discovery something that someone here sure as hell discovered already. :)

and besides, i was just thinking about this. and if i did plan to purchase, there's now way i could afford your suggestion. .heheh. thanks tho!

tea

Tea_J said:
is that right? whatever happened to the vastness of knwoledge and experience of our community here if everyone has to go thru the same trial and error situation? :D

im sure someone here has "Facts" or "Experience" they can share instead of me paying mucho dinero to discovery something that someone here sure as hell discovered already. :)

you don't have to go through trial and error... if you want a gig of ram, go 2x512 and ditch your two 256 modules.

so you really thing it's better to go with 2x512 ei? hmm... anyone care to argue? hhehehe.. me thinks im goin with 2 512's ..

tea

Tea_J said:
so you really thing it's better to go with 2x512 ei?

yes i do... listen to what klingens had to say. he knows what he's talking about.

Back